• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 or ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AMD 970A

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
They are better components.
Like I said, the M5A97 EVO and M5A99X EVO share the same power components and I believe have similar rear panel connectivity, same audio codec.

The newer M5A97 R2.0 is a step down, however if you feel the need to splurge on the M5A99X EVO R2.0, that is ok too.

Hey, I am new to this site. And in fact will be new to overclocking.
I am in the process of building a new box on a small budget. I just ordered the ASUS M5A97 R2 and a Phenom II 955. I will only be running one GPU for now, if not for the life of this board. This appeared to me to be a good board and a good processor. I will likely move up to a higher end FX series chip within 3-5 months. Although I am going to try my hand at overclocking the Phenom. Do you think I will be able to do decently well with this combo? Any tips for my first go at it?

Hey, I am new to this site. And in fact will be new to overclocking.
I am in the process of building a new box on a small budget. I just ordered the ASUS M5A97 R2 and a Phenom II 955. I will only be running one GPU for now, if not for the life of this board. This appeared to me to be a good board and a good processor. I will likely move up to a higher end FX series chip within 3-5 months. Although I am going to try my hand at overclocking the Phenom. Do you think I will be able to do decently well with this combo? Any tips for my first go at it?
That board should do the job just fine(nothing special)

And hey you may be lucky and get 4ghz without changing the voltage too much(what stepping do you have?) ow and don't go with faildozer you will be disappointed,wait for pile driver if you can (lets hope there actually good:cry:)

Heres a great guide to overclocking if you're not sure

Beginnersluck, if you want help overclocking the 955 read the stickies in the amd section. If u have any questikns start a new topic in the amd cpu section.

Back