• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3 problem - once turned on it still rebooting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TKN

Hello
recently I received an old Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3 as gift from a friend that buy old unsold electronic stocks.
I mounted on a full working Intel Q6700 and a ddr2 Stick (samsung M378T5663QZ3 2gb pc6400)
Also I connected to the mainboard a sata dvd-rw and a 1GB-WD BLUE (new), a odl full working nvidia gt610, a 580W PSU, then I tried to turn on all the system.

Immediately I'm having a problem with bootup with this motherboard.

Once turned on the system all seems to run correctly (the six phase-leds turned on, the fans start running, the dvd-rw turned on, and the same is for the HDD....but just after 4/5 seconds the system automatically turned off and then reboot after 1 or 2 seconds pause, so all the components turned on again but after 4/5 seconds the system reboot again.....it's a looping reboot that make me crazy.

I tryed to search the solution on the web but I can't succeed.

I tryed to uninstall and reinstall all the components step by step, to change the ram slot, to uninstall and reinstall the F/P connectors and the FAN connectors, but it seems there's nothing to do...I can't fix the problem..... really I can't understand what's wrong.

I tried to find more information about what the phase led lights mean but I couldn't find some user guide. The first couple of leds are green, the second couple is orange and the third couple of leds is red. I have no clue what that combination means....

As I said my search on the web have been useless and now I hope to find here some Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3 owner much expert than me who will really help me to fix the problem.

Sounds like either:

1. Faulty component on the motherboard like a bad capacitor.
2. CPU core voltage is too low.
3. Some bios setting is wrong. Make sure the memory frequency in bios is set correctly. That CPU used a 1066 FSB and you are running DDR2 800. Should work but you may need to go into bios and adjust the memory divider manually. Reset the bios to defaults and then go in there and check things. You could also do a CMOS clear.
4. Failing PSU
5. Overheating. Make sure the cooler is making good contact with the CPU.

Board was probably used for a completely different chip. Just reset the bios.

Years ago boards required a CPU fan to come up and some guards were programmed into the BIOS to enforce this. I'm not sure what those were but this sounds like something that might be done. (I'm not certain this is still current practice.) I'd make sure that the CPU fan is plugged into the right connector and providing the proper feedback to indicate to the BIOS that a fan is attached and running. (I'm not certain this is still cu

I agree with others who suggest resetting the BIOS (but the original description makes it sound like old unsold stock.)

Good luck!

hi evryone,
thirst in order thanks for all your suggestions.
I can't understand if there's some faulty capacitor on the mobo, but I took the mo.bo and I placed it on a paer-made box, then I installed the cpu (intel Q6700, just after cleaned) then I mounted the CPU-fan on the cpu using the thermal grease. So I put a 2GB-ddr800 in the 1st memory slot, then connected a keyboard and the graphic card (nvidia gt610).

Then I connected the PSU and turn the system on by making contact to the +/- power switch pins. that's what happens: the system turn on for about 1 second, the 6 phase-led blinks and then all shut down... about 3 seconds after all restart automatically for about 1 second again, the phase led blinks and all shut down again and the loop go on so again and again.

I tried to use two different and full working PSU (450w and 600w) but the problem is the same.

I tried to replace the DDR stick in every slot, but never changed.

I tried to use the singular components (cpu, graphic card and DDR stick) on another motherboard and all them are full working.

I read the manual searching for clearing the cmos as someone suggested.

Before I tried to made contact the 2 clear-cmos pins and then I tried turn-on the system again, but it still shut-down and re-turn on automatically.

the second time I tried to uninstall the cr2025 battery and to re-install it after half-hour. Then I tried turn-on the system again, but it's always the same results: it still shut-down and re-turn on automatically

I can't understand what's wrong.
Could you help me to fix the problem

Do you have bent pins in the CPU socket or missing pads on the CPU?

I certainly would check this but it's beginning to look a lot like the motherboard is just bad.

Was this a brand new board or one that had been in use at some point in time?

- - - Updated - - -

hi evryone,
thirst in order thanks for all your suggestions.
I can't understand if there's some faulty capacitor on the mobo, but I took the mo.bo and I placed it on a paer-made box, then I installed the cpu (intel Q6700, just after cleaned) then I mounted the CPU-fan on the cpu using the thermal grease. So I put a 2GB-ddr800 in the 1st memory slot, then connected a keyboard and the graphic card (nvidia gt610).

Then I connected the PSU and turn the system on by making contact to the +/- power switch pins. that's what happens: the system turn on for about 1 second, the 6 phase-led blinks and then all shut down... about 3 seconds after all restart automatically for about 1 second again, the phase led blinks and all shut down again and the loop go on so again and again.

I tried to use two different and full working PSU (450w and 600w) but the problem is the same.

I tried to replace the DDR stick in every slot, but never changed.

I tried to use the singular components (cpu, graphic card and DDR stick) on another motherboard and all them are full working.

I read the manual searching for clearing the cmos as someone suggested.

Before I tried to made contact the 2 clear-cmos pins and then I tried turn-on the system again, but it still shut-down and re-turn on automatically.

the second time I tried to uninstall the cr2025 battery and to re-install it after half-hour. Then I tried turn-on the system again, but it's always the same results: it still shut-down and re-turn on automatically

I can't understand what's wrong.
Could you help me to fix the problem

Not sure what you are saying here. Do you mean you don't believe that could be the problem or do you mean you don't understand what a bad capacitor is about?

Did you install a CPU cooler on the CPU and did you apply thermal pasted between the cooler heat sink and the CPU?

Back