• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte RTX 2060 12GB or MSI RTX 2070 Super 8GB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Droidriven

Registered
I'm trying to decide between these two cards. I can get the 2070 8GB for about $30 less than the 2060 12GB. Benchmarks show the 2070 is slightly faster than the 2060 but I'm wondering if 8GB vs 12GB should be a factor in my decision.

If you only game at 1080p... 8GB will be fine for bit.

What price are you getting these for?

If you only game at 1080p... 8GB will be fine for bit.

What price are you getting these ?
I'll tell you that after I buy it. The deal is the 2070 Super 8GB I can get is $30-35 cheaper than the 2060 12GB but I have to drive 45 minutes away to pick it up and the 2060 has to be shipped. And I have a 1440 monitor so I'd like to play at 1440 if I can.

Also, I plan to carry whichever card I get forward to my next rig on a 14th Gen DDR5 board in a year or so.

Yikes... tough call. 8gb is probably fine in most tiles and settings. Just keep an eye on vram use.

Yikes... tough call. 8gb is probably fine in most tiles and settings. Just keep an eye on vram use.
I don't play any titles that depend on really high frame rates. I don't do any of the first person mmo shooters or cyberpunk or heavy demanding titles like that. I think the 8GB will be fine too but I will probably use this card for at least 3-4 years so my only concern is playing titles that come out between now and then.

I think I'll go ahead and get the 2070 super, I can get it for $165. The 2060 12GB is $190.

2070 Super will be faster in most titles. Since it's an older gen, it won't have the same VRAM problems as the latest PCIe x8 cards. At least RTX3000 with 8GB, like 3070, doesn't have the mentioned problems and a significant FPS drop compared to RTX4060 or RX7600.

It's not about high FPS. It's more about some games with high graphics details that use large textures. If you lower graphics details then nearly all games will be fine.

Last edited:
I think the 8Gig will last for awhile.:)

Unless you want to play AAA titles with max details RT and high-quality textures at 1440p+ (more like 4K, but there are exceptions). The GB RX7900 GRE, 16GB from the last review, reached 16GB+ VRAM in benchmarks (GPU-Z screenshots with readings are in the review).

It's easy to recommend a new high-end graphics card, but prices are still far from reasonable, and most gamers can live at one step lower display resolution or details set to mid or high instead of ultra. The 8GB is more than enough. Ray tracing in most games also isn't so spectacular, but it's still very demanding and causes a 30%+ FPS drop.

Unless you want to play AAA titles with max details RT and high-quality textures at 1440p+ (more like 4K, but there are exceptions). The GB RX7900 GRE, 16GB from the last review, reached 16GB+ VRAM in benchmarks (GPU-Z screenshots with readings are in the review).
Thats a very good point.:unsure:

To be fair, that's most people's goal is to run things on Ultra (RT is a different story IMO). He will undoubtedly need to turn down some settings in games like that sooner than later. 8GB is the minium I'd have on tap today for 1440p gaming.

It's easy to recommend a new high-end graphics card, but prices are still far from reasonable, and most gamers can live at one step lower display resolution or details set to mid or high instead of ultra. The 8GB is more than enough. Ray tracing in most games also isn't so spectacular, but it's still very demanding and causes a 30%+ FPS drop.
Put into those terms, the 1650 4GB I'm currently using will do. It plays everything I want to play with no lag, I'm getting 40-60 fps and everything still looks and runs good in everything that I play and I don't play anything that requires extremely snappy response timing.

Back