• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Gigabyte x470 bootloop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bmwbaxter

Rig specs are in my signature.

My cpu cooler came today so I installed everything in my case. System powered up and ran fine. I went to restart my computer and now my system is stuck in a bootloop.

It flashes between cpu and dram lights. Just black screen, tried with multiple gpus and have pulled it out of the case and have tried both sticks of ram by themselves in every slot with no avail.

Tried clearing the cmos and didn’t work.

I have also tried resetting from the backup bios but no change so not sure if I did it correctly.

I don’t have any other ddr4 sticks or another cpu to try.

Any advice, since I have been out of the loop for awhile I just wanted to maleness sure I wasn’t missing something.

Posting from mobile so sorry if the formatting is bad.

Last edited:
What PSU are you using? Do you have another PSU to stick in the rig to test if that is the issue? When you shut it down could it have been in the middle of a Windows update such that files got corrupted? Fresh install of Windows or left over from another build using that drive? Do you have another GPU to stick in there for a trial swap out?

Last edited:
What cooler did you get and does it use the AMD backplate. After initial Ryzen launch 1+ years ago there were some issues with coolers causing a non-boot situation because of how the backplate applied pressure but I thought that was remedied by most vendors. You could try removing the cooler and try to boot. It won't kill the CPU but you'll know soon enough if that's the issue.
Info on the PSU would be good as Trents suggested but I see you tried multiple GPUs and it's highly unlikely a Windows install/update is causing it not to post.

I swapped back to the stock cooler when I pulled it out of the case.

I was able to recover from the backup bios after I posted yesterday.

Only issue I have is if I turn off the PSU it creates the original issue of stuck cycling between cpu and dram. Once again able to be recovered with the backup bios.

I will try my old PSU when I get home and see if it is somehow related to that.

My current one is a Corsair HX 750. Will try my TX 750 from my old build later.

If it doesn’t fix it I assume RMA the motherboard? Since the cpu, ram and gpu all work correctly when it eventually does boot? Just somehow my bios corrupts on power lost.

What cooler did you get and does it use the AMD backplate. After initial Ryzen launch 1+ years ago there were some issues with coolers causing a non-boot situation because of how the backplate applied pressure but I thought that was remedied by most vendors. You could try removing the cooler and try to boot. It won't kill the CPU but you'll know soon enough if that's the issue.
Info on the PSU would be good as Trents suggested but I see you tried multiple GPUs and it's highly unlikely a Windows install/update is causing it not to post.

Dang Johan, I was going to say that about the backplate issue :) Here is a link for his cooler http://us.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/cooling/MasterAir-Series/masterair-ma620p.html. It looks like it has the right backplate, maybe back off 1 or 2 turns on the screws mounting the cooler to the MB.

p.s. scroll down to see mounting hardware.

Last edited:
Once it boots to BIOS can you switch back to main and flash it with a new file?
I know that some vendors have been having issues with the latest BIOS so maybe try a slightly older one pre AGESA 1.0.0.4 IIRC

reflashed last night (F3 bios) and it did the same thing if i turned the power off. Will try a different PSU tonight and try flashing to a older BIOS and see if either of those helps.

Yep just checked their page and F3 is the newest AGESA so it won't hurt to drop back one. Hopefully that boards allows you to.

Yep just checked their page and F3 is the newest AGESA so it won't hurt to drop back one. Hopefully that boards allows you to.

I can reset with the backup and then flash the bios so I should be able to. (knocks on desk)

Good luck, hope it works. Did you get the board local?

I hear ya, they're usually pretty good but it's still a hassle. You might want to hit up Giga tech support to see if they have any insight

Different PSU and still ends up with a bad bios if I shutoff or lose power to the PSU.

I had it running all day stressing the gpu and cpu all day with no crashes so I assume my board is just donzo.

Gonna try to RMA it if no one has any other ideas.

I realize this would not be likely on a new board but what about a bad CMOS battery?

Started RMA, Ordered replacement from Amazon gets here tomorrow. :)

Thanks for all the help, I remember why I used to call this place my internet home. :thup:

Good news! More often than not these kinds of behaviors are board-related but it is still appropriate to check out other potential issues before RMAing, which you did.

Last edited:
Back