• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte Z170 boards getting some press time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Robert17

Premium Member
Looks like the folks at Gigabyte have posted a press release with some upcoming features on their Z170 MBs. Mix and match or get it all on one board it seems. 20+4 on the power side? wow. August is getting here fast.

At THG

If you remember 24 phase Z77 boards then you know it means nothing. These new CPU series don't need more than ~8 phases to run stable even at high OC. I would focus more on product quality than on gadgets that won't help in anything.
All my X58/H55/Z77/Z87/Z97/990FX Gigabyte boards had dead BIOS chips or problems with power delivery ( usually both ) ... somehow they simply can't solve that for couple of years. 5+ RMA for OC/SOC boards with constantly the same issues in a bit more than a year is enough for me. Even when I sold Z87X-OC then guy who bought it from me made RMA 1 month later ( support sent me mail by mistake as the same board was in their database after earlier RMAs ).

Gigabyte has the same tactics like MSI or ASUS and their "gaming" products are starting to look the same. It's getting boring for me to see 20+ mobo models which most are simply average toys and 2-3 are well designed/tested but still not perfect. I also can't understand why all manufacturers are showing us their products 1-2 months before premiere and later we are beta testers anyway.

I will probably get skylake as I need faster 4 core CPU but I bet I will stuck with 3-4 mobos to choose from 70-90 available on the market like it was with Z87 and later Z97.
I'm waiting for something good from ASRock or ASUS ROG series.

Back