• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte Z170 HD3 F21 BIOS update.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wingman99

I updated to F21 and had a few problems. The first problem was Gigabyte recalibrated the CPU VID output scale lower when using Dynamic DVID or stock. They went from VID of 1.287v F6 Bios to 1.178v F21 Bios, so I had to set my DVID from +0.070v to +0.160v to achieve 1.332v Vcore. The second problem was when loading CPU-Z or HWmonitor it took 2 minutes to open, I fixed that by reflashing the Bios twice.

Has anyone else had that much trouble with a simple Bios update?:-/

Last edited:
I dont use that offset/adaptive stuff....so, no.

If i had to guess, id say they know better now that most chips will work with a lower voltage, so its adjusted. Weve seen plenty of it though, now that i think about it...people frequently mention a bios update lowered stock voltages...

The The BIOS has the new color Scheme and layout from the Z270s, they also have the improved smart fan 5. I now have an option to use Intel Speed Shift and CPU flex ratio override, I don't know what flex ratio override does?

I have my i5 6600k overclocked to 4.5GHz and my G.SKILL memory on XMP 3200 speed and everything works perfect after I did the reflash twice in the beginning.

So after a week I'm very happy with the F21 Bios update and maybe will upgrade to i5 7600k in a couple months.:)

I have the Gigabyte z170 UD5 and i'm on the newest bios F22. They did lower the base voltage when you go to setup offset. mine was at a base voltage of 1.210v and then off course i added my offset voltage to my base. But yea they did lower it because of the crazy spikes people were getting i think. I still get spikes in offset but not to some unsafe level like before.

They lowered the base cpu voltage on my ASRoc z270 as well with later bios releases and it gave me boot problems with an overclocked CPU. I just could not seem to get that solved with reasonable manual voltage increases so I resorted to using the ASRock "A Tune" software to apply the overclock settings in Windows. Worked very well. I think there might have been some other bios problems on top of the lowered base vcore contributing to the boot problem.

They lowered the base cpu voltage on my ASRoc z270 as well with later bios releases and it gave me boot problems with an overclocked CPU. I just could not seem to get that solved with reasonable manual voltage increases so I resorted to using the ASRock "A Tune" software to apply the overclock settings in Windows. Worked very well. I think there might have been some other bios problems on top of the lowered base vcore contributing to the boot problem.

Nothing more i hate than boot problems. i'm a Gigabyte person through and through but man you talk about boot problems and i've had them plenty in the past with Gigabyte. My first Gigabyte board was a P35-DS3L with a E8400. That thing was solid but it had cold boot problems from hell. Plus i had that issue with other Gigabyte boards from then on. They have gotten better with that issue through the years it seems. but now my main irk with Gigabyte is the handing of voltages or rather the implementation. Main reason i stick with Gigabyte boards is they still use good quality parts on their boards but that is about it.

Last edited:
Nothing more i hate than boot problems. i'm a Gigabyte person through and through but man you talk about boot problems and i've had them plenty in the past with Gigabyte. My first Gigabyte board was a P35-DS3L with a E8400. That thing was solid but it had cold boot problems from hell. Plus i had that issue with other Gigabyte boards from then on. They have gotten better with that issue through the years it seems. but now my main irk with Gigabyte is the handing of voltages or rather the implementation. Main reason i stick with Gigabyte boards is they still use good quality parts on their boards but that is about it.

I had a P35-DS3L with a E8400 overclocked great and no cold boot problems.

I had a P35-DS3L with a E8400 overclocked great and no cold boot problems.

Think it eventually got sorted in a bios update and it affected v1.0 boards hence why they put out a rev 2.0 of the same board. but then again it is hard to compare tech experiences as everyone has a different story to tell hehe. e8400 was a nice cpu back in the day. think it had a evga 8800gt. i still have that pc build in storage somewhere and it worked last time i tried it a few years ago.

I just side graded from i5 6600k to i5 7600k. I was able to overclock to 4.5Ghz on stock voltage of maximum of 1.200v running prime95 v28.10.

Back