• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Goal: Stream 1080p@30FPS, play @100+FPS. What hardware do you recommend?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kislen

Right now I have an i7 920 running @ 4.2ghz
2x GTX 480s, 'stock' overclocked from EVGA
12GB Corsair Vengeance in tri-channel, running @ 1600mhz, forget the timings

My main game is Planetside 2 - I'm consistantly purely bottlenecked in the game by the CPU, even on one GTX480. Streaming is basically an impossibility right now, my FPS tanks to as low as 20 which is unacceptable in infantry combat.

I want to stream at 30fps, 1080p, while playing the game at as close to 120FPS as possible -- what hardware would you recommend for this? I have been told my thoughts of picking up a 4770k and using the on-die gpu for the encoding to stream aren't thinking high enough, and that I should get the avermedia gamer hd card + 4930k if I want to get anywhere near what I'm looking for. I have a few reservations about the avermedia card after reading reviews of it, and am unsure if it will work with my 120hz video output from my card.

Anyone have experience with this, and what do you suggest I put together? Do I really need to go hardcore and get a $600 CPU & an encoder card to make this happen?

No matter what setup you have, you will get crappy FPS in large fights. I can max the game on my setup, and get 30 FPS @ 60% GPU usage in an Amp Station / Biolab / Whatevertheotherthingiscalled battle. Dropping every setting but resolution, rendering quality, and textures to min gets me up to 45 FPS, but @ 30% GPU usage. Planetside 2 is HORRIBLY optimized, getting mediocre performance even with an i5 @ 4.5 GHZ and an OC'D 7970.

The good news is that the entire dev team is currently working on optimizations. For the time being, we just have to deal with the performance issues.

also make sure you have the upload bandwidth. id imagine that would require a few Mb/s upload

Back