• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going all out with a 775 build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

saturn

Disabled
I'm about to lose my marbles again and build a 775 system. I love 775 systems.

After my last 775 system I promised myself I would never build one again unless if it was all out with an abit IX48 motherboard. I snuck almost 800$ into my last 775 system trying to find super rare period parts. But only got a few hundred back out of it. It was not a keeper for me. Other wise I would have kept it.

Ok so I don't have a ix48 yet but when I do I will start the build.

Budget:
What ever it takes. The less the better haha.
Looks like we're are all ready off to a good start.:salute:
The system need to be the best. Done right with the best parts and the right colors and lighting.
Im thinking black and blue? Maybe all black?

Parts.
Here were I'm at abit of a loss. I want the system to be perfect. But a have few ideas.

Cooling:
Water or air? What to use?
I could used newer wc'ing parts witch is not a bad idea. What about air coolers? Any ideas?
For water cooling I'm thinking of heat killer block a d5 and a 360mm rad.
For air cooling, maybe one of those really big older scythe coolers. I think they were called a ninja or something. Any ideas?

Ram:
I'd like to use some low timing 1600mhz but that getting hard to find. So I will get some faster newer ddr3 ram and lower the speed and tighten up the timings. What ram would you use?

Gpu:
I have 5 ideas here.
2 4890s, 2 5870, 2 gtx 280, 2 gtx 295 or a single new card.
I don't like the idea of useing a new card. I'll have to use the sli driver hack if I use a nvidia cards and if I recall the 4890 did not play well with the ix48 without modded bios.
What would you use?

Case:
I'm thinking of a old haf case.
Would you use something different?

Hdd:
I could use a raptor? Maybe a newer ssd? Are there sata 3 pci-e cards out there? A sata 3 card and a ssd seems like a good idea. But a raptor is more period correct.

Psu:
There's no point in not buying a new much better psu if you ask me.

Vista seem about right. Maybe 7? I have a copy of vista and it would be more period correct. But I would not want to use vista with an ssd.

Cpu:
Don't know. I used a lot of q9650s. But in thinking of a Xeon. Maybe a c2q extrem?
I think I'll keep it simple with a q9650. Your thoughts?

Once I find a ix48 I'll start to really look into finding parts.

win7 released before socket 1155, so it wouldnt be out of range.
though doing a 775 build is kind of moot unless you are runing legacy software that needs like xp or something, imo.

That was a hard board to find back when Abit was still in business. Good luck with your build. This is my old 775 rig... & a ton of updates. lol

X6800 to E8600 to Q9650 always on water
Swiftech Apogee block, D5 pump Swiftech 120x2 rad
Maximus Formula SE, then BIOS flashed to Rampage Formula, then replaced with Rampage Formula
Three 74GB Raptors RAID5 to two Adata SATA II SSDs RAID0
4x1GB GSkill HZ D9 DDR2-800 to 4x2GB GSkill DDR2-1000 @ 1066
Two HD 4870s
650w PSU to 1000w PSU
Vista 32bit to Win7 64bit

That was a hard board to find back when Abit was still in business. Good luck with your build.

I know, I should have never sold it. even the IX38 are hard to find.

win7 released before socket 1155, so it wouldnt be out of range.
though doing a 775 build is kind of moot unless you are runing legacy software that needs like xp or something, imo.
Windows 7 was right on the edge of 775 life span. If I go with a ssd I'll use 7. If i don't use a ssd I'll use vista.
As for why I'm building a 775 system, well it's for fun. I like 775 systems. That and a 775 system will do anything I need it too. If I need to run XP, it can run XP. If I need to run vista, 7 or 8/10 it will also.

What're you going to be doing with the build? Competitive benching, 24/7surfenboxen, or something else?

Would definitely use a ssd.

What're you going to be doing with the build? Competitive benching, 24/7surfenboxen, or something else?

Would definitely use a ssd.

Competitive benching, gaming. (I don't play anything new) All around fun. Maybe I'll let it fold when I'm not using it.
From time to time I build a older PC just for fun. My fist 775 system had a ix48 in it, it was also my first real modern PC I used for daily stuff myself. More often then not when I build a PC I give it away, sell it or it was for someone else from the get go.

EDIT:
I think I'll go with a pair of 285's or 295's

Last edited:
Coolios!

OK...here's what I'd imagine...
Mobo: Giga ep45t-extreme, asus rampage extreme, giga p45-us3p (not sure on exact model number for this last one)

Ram: Some strong hypers

Cooling: custom water

Gpu: Any will more or less do as with a 775 you're not looking at a lot of 3D points. Maybe a gtx570?

HD: any decent ssd

OS: you'll want xp, vista, 7x64 and 7x86 as there are benches that do best on each of those. Top ones for your setup will be xp, vista and 7x64

I'm going to use an abit ix48 or a ddr3 version of the ix38.

hyperx ram sounds like a good idea, that or ether some redline?
Would be nice to use a pair of those asus mars cards. But try and find one let alone 2.

Last edited:
How about a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P /Q9550
G-Skill PC2-8500 8g four sticks
Also GTX570 and GTX 770 4g

Now this is a great OC-er

Was thinking 2x2GB 2000c7's or 2133c8's. Corsair dominators or kingston hyperx. Meant hyper ic's not hyperx the brand name.

An overclocking board that takes ddr3 will do better than one with ddr2 (plus nice ddr3 can still be found and prices are more or less at an all time low).

Giving up on the ix48
I just found a q6600 some ram and a dfi x48 lanparty board for cheap.
I'll be selling the ram and cpu when I get the board.

I'm having a hard time making up my mind weather or not to build a sleeper stile...

Like with a case form 1998.

What you mean those ugly cream colored things. I have half a dozen of them that I'm going to scrap soon

What you mean those ugly cream colored things. I have half a dozen of them that I'm going to scrap soon
Make sure none of them are AT cases.
AT case's can be worth a good bit. I have sold AT cases upwards of 50$ a piece. If they're ATX cases just scrap them unless if you have any of those old antec server cases.

Also I don't know about were you live, but scrap is real low right now where I'm at. About 50$ for a car.

Anyway I bought a pare of 9800 gx2 for the system.

I bought a pc-k62 case for the system. I waited to do a sleeper. But the best sleeper case I could find was a ultra defender Atx case.

Shoehorn an X5492 or X5470 into that X48 board. They go for under $100 on eBay - originally they were $1500 chips.

X5492: 3.4GHz, 400FSB x8.5, 12MB L3, 150W, quad core Xeon
X5470: 3.33GHz, 333FSB x10, 12MB L3, 120W, quad core Xeon

I'm not sure of the FSB capabilities of that X48 board or how far you want to push it so choose based on multiplier.

Note that they are both s771 so you'll need pin-mod stickers and possibly have to add microcode to your BIOS.

Water cooling would be a good idea as well.

Sorry, just remembered that 5000 series Xeons won't work in X48 boards.

Last edited:
5xxx ain't those 1366 CPUs?
Anyway I rather not used a modded Xeon as temping as they may be.

5000 series are for dual processor (DP), and have come in different sockets over the years.

3000 are uni-processor (UP), 7000 are multi-processor (MP).

For whatever reason the 5xxx Xeons tend to be really cheap and make great upgrades.

The X3380 is a s775 Xeon that should work in that X48 board but they tend to be harder to find and more expensive.

Back