• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going from crappy water to air cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Alright, I'm gonna go for the rosewill. Already overnighted the H80. I was gon a get a H100. But I think I'll be happy with the H80. If I got the H100, for. It more I could have gotten rasa 240. It won't end... I have. To stick with what I wanted to spend.

So I should leave the side door vents open, or put a fan in there as intake?

I wonder the quality of the fans it comes with.

So are you pulling fresh air I to the intake? Or are you having those fans as exhaust? Which then you're passing hot air through the rads? Or I misuderstood you.

Sorry on punctuation. On the iPad. Lol...

I plan on using the front as intake, rad as intake, and top as exhaust.

Last edited:
I have them exhausting from the case, so in theory I would be pulling in hot air from the case. But since the side door on my test system has a 220 mm intake fan, plus is just about all mesh, there is no way to trap hot air in the case.:D. And that Rosewill case has a side door made somewhat like the Dragon Rider case door. Look at the link and see what I'm talking about. All you need to do later on is install a cheap 120 mm fan or 2 on the door as intakes and you should be good to go. I rather have it set up for airflow as the case was designed for. I think reversing the airflow off the back side and using it as an intake hurts case cooling and is counter productive. But I do plan to test this theory before I finish testing the H80.

I have them exhausting from the case, so in theory I would be pulling in hot air from the case. But since the side door on my test system has a 220 mm intake fan, plus is just about all mesh, there is no way to trap hot air in the case.:D. And that Rosewill case has a side door made somewhat like the Dragon Rider case door. Look at the link and see what I'm talking about. All you need to do later on is install a cheap 120 mm fan or 2 on the door as intakes and you should be good to go. I rather have it set up for airflow as the case was designed for. I think reversing the airflow off the back side and using it as an intake hurts case cooling and is counter productive. But I do plan to test this theory before I finish testing the H80.

Yeah, I was planning on getting 2 120mm fans and putting them on the side. (actually the case comes with a rear 120mm fan, and since that's where the radiator is going, I can use that fan on the side panel as intake!

Let me know what you find out about exhaust/intake thing. you're right. with all those fans blowing into the case, you can't really trap hot air in there.

Well I took all my stuff off, now I'm thinking of getting a new HDD. mine are like 4 years old. lol

now I don't know how the case is gonna work out, but I wonder if I should put both the fans inside the case, or have 1 fan outside, and then sandwich the case panel to the rad/fan so

fan|case|rad|fan

if I have the room in the case, I might just put it all inside though.

I would think you will have enough room to put everything inside the case. With both fans installed and rad mounted, the edge of the fan is still around 3/8-1/2 inch from the pump body, which is still lower than the edge of the fan anyways, at least on my case.

wow, the thermaltake's CPU mount on the underside of the mobo has like bonded to my mobo... there was a gasket of some sort, and that thing is like GLUED to the mobo! I'm afraid if I try to pry it, it's gonna break the mobo... ugh....

i'm trying to use a razor, but it's hard to get in there

I can't believe this :censored::censored::censored::censored:... while trying to take the damn mount off, I strached up underside of the mobo. looks like I scraped some very delicate circuitrity. I'm pretty sure that mobo is now non functional...

UGHHHH I can't believe this!!!

gonna have to get a LGA775 mobo now. who the hell sells taht old stuff anymore? DAMN!

can't believe this...

20110816185309411.jpg

I'd say it's done.

If it's toasted, you might want to look around classifieds (assuming you have access) as 775 boards pop up pretty frequently on there.

If it's toasted, you might want to look around classifieds (assuming you have access) as 775 boards pop up pretty frequently on there.

wtf, gotta be .edu or .gov email to use clasifieds? never heard of such a thing... I have a .mil email, but I don't see 'much' popping up if its limited to govt employees and students

wtf, gotta be .edu or .gov email to use clasifieds? never heard of such a thing... I have a .mil email, but I don't see 'much' popping up if its limited to govt employees and students

Unless I'm mistaken .mil accounts have a permanent allowance, so that should be fine. ISP email addresses are also fine.

Basically the restriction is to block people using gmail or throwaway accounts.

Edit: For .mil address:
PM JoT regarding:

" ALL servicemen are exempt from the Classified e-mail rules regarding providing a ISP, .Gov or .EDU

Just let me know the generic email you wish to use and I will add you to the exception list once I have validated your active duty. This can easily be done by sending ME-INSERT SAM'S NEW EMAIL a quick e-mail from your .MIL provider. After this is validated, you can use G-Mail or any other e-mail you choose. We at Overclockers.com appreciate all you are doing for your Country and we want to make it easier for all of you.

-THIS EXEMPTION IS ONLY FOR ARMED FORCES ACTIVE DUTY MEMBERS- "

I'd try using Isopropyl Alcohol to clean up that gasket material, it works for most things and is generally safe as long as you let it dry off/evaporate before you use the component again.

If that doesn't work then maybe paint thinner, though it's a little harsher and I'm not sure how it would react to contact with silicon.

razorseal, you have a PM about your .mil email address. We can and will work with you about access and I want you to know that we appreciate your sacrifice by serving to protect this country.

mudd

Back