• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going To Be Special Guest On A PC Modding Podcast - Post Your Questions!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Petra

Former owner of Petra's Tech Shop
Hey guys, I know that most of you probably haven't heard from me in a while... but I'm still around.

Anyway, I'm going to be the special guest on an episode of The Mod Zoo podcast, with MNPC Tech's Bill Owen, that's scheduled for recording on Sunday 1/13/13 (sorry, this one likely isn't going to be streamed). We're probably going to spend some time talking about the history of PTS (prior to its sale), water cooling, the enthusiast industry in general, and whatever else comes up (I've got all sorts of I could talk about). But to make things even more interesting for you guys, I'd like you to post any questions that you would like me to answer during the recording of the show (could be about me, PTS, water cooling, modding, why Gabe and I always seem like we're arguing with each other on the forums, the most ridiculous mispronunciation of Quoc's name, whatever). Also feel free to toss in questions for Bill and the others if you happen to have any.

So, yeah, post whatever you'd like to know and I'll pass a link to this thread along to the hosts so that they can go through it and pick stuff. :D

It has been long enough to where I don't have to worry so much about pissing people off by talking about stuff :p

True, I did say anything... and that would actually be a fun topic of discussion because, well, one can build silent computers. :D

I'd like to know for real. I am sure a lot of folks would like to know how they can achieve the performance they want with a silent operation. Mine seems noisy to me and I do not know why :/

Modz

What in particular is the noisy part? Fans? Pump? I'm just curious.

Edit: OT - What new products that were announced at CES are you most excited for and why?

What in particular is the noisy part? Fans? Pump? I'm just curious.

Edit: OT - What new products that were announced at CES are you most excited for and why?

Skorpien, what's up bro. Long time no talk.

Anyways, I am not real sure. I have yet to start unplugging things to see exactly what is causing the noise. My pump is the MCP35x and all my rad fans are yate loon mediums I think. 3 of them may be high speed which could make noise. My rads are a very low FPI so I am not really sure. Could be the hard drives as well.

Really, it sounds like a fish tank. Haha

Ps: my fan controller is trash piece of NZXT garbage I got for free for a temp solution. Need a good one, but not sure which one to get.

BACK ON TOPIC:

I like the idea of talking about things that have dropped at CES! That in itself will give plenty to talk about. Lets see umm..... Ill think of more things :)

Modz

Not too much! Glad to see you back around here.

I was gonna say get a good fan controller to temper the noise of the fans, but if it's the pump you'll have to mess with the PWM settings on your mobo if you're using that to control it. But yeah, best bet is to try and isolate the source.

You could always get a MO-RA or two and mount them externally and just have it be completely passively cooled :p

Based on what you see, do you think the use of water cooling in general is increasing, decreasing, or steady? Do you foresee that direction changing in the near term?

Do you see AIO sealed kits taking the place of custom loops or simply bringing WC tech to people who might be averse to building a custom loop for whatever reason?

EDIT: Just noticed that I probably missed the deadline. Please post a link to the podcast when it's up. :)

Last edited:
The recording went well, aside from a little time zone confusion on my part. I'll have to wait for the final cut-down version of the podcast before I'll know what made it in and what didn't--I was a bit scatterbrained today. A link will be added to the thread once the final version of the recording is released and, at that point, I'll go ahead and start answering whatever questions and stuff didn't make it into the podcast.

The edited version of the podcast was posted today: http://themodzoo.com/podcast/The Mod Zoo - Ep9.mp3

We actually recorded for a little over two hours, so they had a lot of editing to do. The odd section in the beginning (pre-intro) was pulled from a portion of the recording where Daz (Dazmode) dropped in.

I listened to the podcast this morning but need to go back through it and actually take notes on which questions were answered and whether or not they were answered as fully as I would have liked... because I'm going to either shoot a video or do an audio recording (not sure which) to address anything that wasn't covered in the podcast. Do you guys have a preference?

In retrospect, I realize that I mentioned Swiftech a lot... which was totally unintentional. I must have had Gabe on the brain :chair:

Got mine. Were they a limited time thing? Is this a collector's item? Anybody want to buy it from me? :bday:

They weren't a limited time thing... but people sure did go nuts over getting a pen and a hand written note.

On a somewhat related note, I finally got that Q&A follow-up video posted... because that didn't take a month :facepalm:

Back