• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gold in a AMD Ation 64 FX cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

techdude

Hi i just got a old mother board from a dump and there was a AMD Arhion 64 FX cpu processor on it and i was wondering how much gold was in 1 if any... please let me know
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Techdude, I moved your post to its own thread. The one you posted in was from 2004. I also removed your email in your post so you don't get spammers picking up on it.

The amount of gold in a processor is very low. Recovery of a single one is not worth extracting.

Hmmmm, it would make a nice key ring though.... Cut off the pins and file em back a bit, drill a hole and voila! ;)

The pins are most likely plated.
I've heard that they open it up for the gold wires that attach to the silicon.
Sometime I should open a dead one for a look-see.

Nah, the pins are copper. The only gold used will be in the PCB. That wasn't what I meant

I think the Pentium Pro processors had the most amount of gold used, mostly plating. Modern day stuff, not so much.

The pins are gold plated; coppper would oxidize over time locking the CPU into the socket and/or borking it's ability to be a CPU. Besides, gold is a very good electrical conductor as well as an oxidation preventative. Gold plated pins add up (they are even in the connectors of the air-bags in your car). Different CPUs have different amounts of gold plating on them in total so remember to check the value of your CPU before just tossing it. Some CPUs are worth $5 to a recycler, some are worth $30, even the "ancient" ones, just due to the gold content.

Well what do you know.... A quick Google confirmed you're right. The pins are indeed gold plated. :shock:

Back