• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gold plating a cooler question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Intel-igence

Registered
It's been a long time since I've been on this site but anyhooo,

I have a mate that can plate anything of mine that is metal in gold. Would it be good to have the bottom of my hyper 212 plus (or any other heatsink) in pure 24K gold? Would it make a difference in temps and efficiency?
He is also asking if I want the gold plate polished or not.

Thank you to anyone who may have some info/advice.

It's been a long time since I've been on this site but anyhooo,

I have a mate that can plate anything of mine that is metal in gold. Would it be good to have the bottom of my hyper 212 plus (or any other heatsink) in pure 24K gold? Would it make
a difference in temps and efficiency?
He is also asking if I want the gold plate polished or not.

Thank you to anyone who may have some info/advice.

Not worth it IMO. since you are only adding material to the cooler it will slow heat transfer.

If you could get it for free I would say get the whole thing done for an awesome bling factor.

Because I can plate it silver too..

I might plate it silver at the bottom and then Gold all round the heatsink.

I can get it done cheap though, I just thought maybe if the bottom got plated silver or gold it would increase thermal conductivity? ;)

Silver is better thermal conductor.

however, u are just plating it, not replacing the copper
as a result, u will just add another layer of metal to it..
which I don't think will help, as the copper won't be able to absorb any faster still.

Back