• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gonna try something a little new

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fx-53

My warranty's almost gone so im fixing to start the setup to OC :beer:

Heres my plans so far

crap i have:
Via aqua 1300(or my 4900 but i dont 1200gph at 6ft head im running in my aquarium so.........that thing is a BEAST)

Yeong Yang 0221b case(get it friday....thank you God(ill have to post pics of my gheto case ...yall will understand))

Myriad of pipe and tubing(my mom was a proffesional plumber many moons ago..........you do what you gotta do to pay the bills.....so i got pvc and flex hose coming out my ears)

What I need:

2 160+ watt pelts

1 Custom block for those(and heatsink.......probably use cpu heatsinks)

CPU,GPU, and NB blocks- probably a dangerden rbx or tdx for the cpu.....im open tosuggestion on NB and GPU(GPU is kinda pointless right now but im holding out for price cuts on agp after pcie comes out)

1 500watt psu to run pelts(or maybe the 2 crappy ones i have .....we'll see)

Basicaly i wanna build a TEC chiller. im going to have a custom made block made to mount the 2 pelts on(looking at the price of a pair of good cpu block to do the same thing illd lust as soon have a block made specificaly to do this with). I love the way this case is made because its compartmentalized. With this setup the heat the dumb pelts are producing wont actualy affect ambient air tenp inside the compartment housing the moboard. The one thing im realy interested in is to be able to adjust the output on the Pelts. Is this doable? or am i goig to have to design a thermostat to kick one on and off as it needs it? im not horribly interested in extremely low temps(YET) but someday im hoping to go to four big pelts and realy chill the crap out of this thing. I had looked at a traditional water chiller. to me this design seems like A. less hassle cause aside from the custom machined stuf(wich isnt a big deal..........ill get my roomate to draw a cad file and i know a shp with a good machine that will do it cheap) its just a basic watercolling setup with more wires B. less crap in the case......the whole unit (two psu's and the chiller) are ruffly the same sive as just the compressor.......lets not even talk about everything else that goes into a chiller C. its vastly quiter......couple of fans running one the pelts and the psu's wich are pretty quite......versus compressor fans etc. in the chiller.

Im shure im missing some things here.......im still very much in the intitial phases of building this. I do however need some recomendations and comments. First and foremost, Please leave feedback on my reasoning......I assure you i dont take offense to much and as long as there not BS "that sucks" posts i appreciate the critiscism or praiseor suggestion, any of the three(im a college student who makes it a hobby to prove proffesors wrong.......... theres not much you can say to me that offends me anymore cause theyve sadi most of it) Im also looking for advice on Waterblocks. Thats my biggie right now i need to decide on so i can get to picking up some of the basics. Anyway thank yall for reading this excesivley long post i made(its almost 3:00am here and i cant sleep..... I was bored) with all its horrendous spelling and grammar mistakes.....God dont let me english proff see this please........ and i appreciate any feedback. Oh and i Know the ViaAqua pumps suck generaly but ive had realy good luck with these........however its not my final pump(trying to get everything else THEN buy a good pump)

Anyway thanks and Gig'em Aggies :thup: :beer:

**edit and after all that i forgot to subscribe.........oooh its early**

nobody with even a wow you type to much comment....dang........................

bumpage

Ive always wanted to do something like this, but I kept hearing that pelts don't make good waterchillers. Keep this thread updated with your progress, I'll be subscribing.

first of all you wont get more than a 5 C water temp decrease with the pelts. + also if you are running 2 160+ watt pelts then you need to get a power supply made just for peltiers not a computer power supply. they are not made for sending that kind of wattage through the 12 volt lines and the molex connector will melts and even if you solder them on to the power supply it would still not be a good idea to use the computer power supply. get one of the meanwell power supplys and hook up your pelts to that. you may end up needing 2. one for each pelt

ok im gonna try posting again.....wrote a nice long response earlier and got an error so i got mad and gave up

anyways here we go
LOL @msi

xymurgy........ def. will be updating as i get work done

The Dark Hacker- dont know exactly were you got those number from but i would be shocked if ONE couldnt come close to icing the block over(at east with no heat load....... I was actualy discussing this with my TA for my chem lab(hes in his last yer as a PHD student. however i dont know everything so i may be completely wrong. Also if the wire comin out of my psu cant handle 200watts how does only a little bit heavier wire handle several hundred pushing a thousand watts to a speaker. No the molexes wont handle it that wouldnt be pretty

well over at liquid ninjas player 0 the admin built a chiller using 4 172 watt pelts and he got around freezing. i dont know if you are going to get anywhere near that but i guess i under estimated what they can do
here is a pic

but again you cannot run 2 pelts on a computer power supply. get this
http://dangerden.com/mall/Pelts/psu.asp

the computer power supply is not made for putting ot that kind of power on 2 12 volt lines. i would not recommend putting anything over a 80 watt pelt on a computer power supply

Attachments

• chiller.jpg
    chiller.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 110
  • chiller 2.jpg
    chiller 2.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 102
thx for the pics that gives me some more ideas......what did he build that ought of it looks kinda like aluminum...... just wonderin oh and gettin it to freezing is prettymuch all im lookin for :D just somethin a little above normal aircooling(im a little overprotective of my computer about ocing)

just got my comp in my new case....holy crap i dropped like 7-8c just by getting some proper circulation...........and the thing is so dang quite its hillarious........btw this thing is HUGE

From what I understand by the time you start getting good results with a water chiller in this fasion it almost becomes more resonable for a phase change system. Especially in the long run.

effeciency with power isnt important......i live in a dorm and dont have to pay the light bill just a flat fee for rent power cable....etc. Btw i got nearly an 18degree celsius cooling drop on my idle loads with this new case and i havent even done a duct yet heheheheheheill .try to get yall some pics with the new case when im home next weekend

I had given a lot of thought to TEC chilling my loop but it really isn't the best way to go by any means. The easiest way to chill your water is to use a cheap (small) AC unit and put the evaporator in a reservoir and insulate your tubing and blocks. It'll use less power than TECs and you'll get near or below zero temps. Of course, you'll have to use antifreeze and 90% alcohol instead of water, but it's definitely way the hell better than TEC chilling. TEC chillers usually don't work nearly as well as everyone hopes.

If you are insistent on TEC chilling, you'll want to get at least a couple more waterblocks and enough stuff for a second water loop. What you'll want to do is run your computer's water through the additional waterblock(s) and have a TEC sandwitched between that waterblock and a waterblock in your second loop. You'll just transfer heat from one loop to another. You'll want at least one big heatercore, though more is better and since it's not your main loop you can put more than one in it without too much worry about flow rates. Also, high flow blocks will do much better with TECs than high pressure blocks like the TDX or MCW6000 blocks. A Maze4 or even a TC-4 is ideal for this.

But when you add it all up to do it right, you're into phase change territory for costs. It's really just easier and cheaper to build an AC chiller.

my realy big ssue with phase change is the size........... a tec chiller is going to give me low(not subzero but low) temps. itll fit in my case and ill be able to se some fans to cool it. I know most people dont get result but i know there isa way. i mean they use a tec chiller style setup to cool some laser(ive seen them in the research labs here)

Back