• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good budget CPU heatsink "not 120mm tower"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dostov

Overclockers.com Reporter
Looking for a decent CPU heatsink that is not 120mm tower-type because of height constraints, and on a budget! I have around 140mm of height to play with, has to fit FM2 and cool 100w with headroom for OC if possible.

I was looking at Zalman CNPS 5x Performa, but was wondering if anybody had something better to propose? :shrug:

You might poke around the classifieds here on the forums. Look for a good top down type of HSF.

Z

The Xigmatek Loki looks sweet! Beats the CNPS 5x and Coolermaster TX3 hands down. Price is a tad higher though... about $30 is what I find here.

That's about $5 higher than Newegg sells it here in the US- still well worth it though. I'd say just the fan would run about $10+ based on quality of construction.

Its way better than your normal $30 cooler.

Mine was $25, but I kept thinking "this should have been $40" when unboxing and mounting.

TX3 is cheap, but I can get the Zalman CNPS 5X for even cheaper and it's like 2 degrees better than TX3. The 5X goes for $11 after mail-in rebate right now ($16 before MIR).

I'm gonna see if I can find a better price for the Loki though, because I'm unsure how much OC'ing headroom I'd get on my A8-5600K (100w) with TX3 or CNPS 5X.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but, you'll not find ANY decent air cooler for under $30 unless you buy used. That's just the way it is.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but, you'll not find ANY decent air cooler for under $30 unless you buy used. That's just the way it is.

If you don't mind me disagreeing... By my standards, the aforementioned Loki looks like a decent cooler. So are Coolermaster's Hyper 212 series, most of which can readily be found under $30. It just depends what you consider "decent" I guess... ;)

If you don't mind me disagreeing... By my standards, the aforementioned Loki looks like a decent cooler. So are Coolermaster's Hyper 212 series, most of which can readily be found under $30. It just depends what you consider "decent" I guess... ;)

Nope, I don't mind at all.
Both coolers mentioned are what I refer to as 'bang for the buck' coolers. I have 4 212+'s that I use on many different platforms from Slot 1 to AM3. It just depends on what you intend to cool with them. I've personally found that the 212+ can't handle much more than 100-120w effectively. If you're looking for more than that, it's gonna double the price at least.

Back