• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good games for an older system (k6-2 500)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

asmodeansedai

well im kinda going through a dry spell with my computer, and i was wandering if you know of any fun game i could get, unfortunatley i cant play UT or something like that very well, but any suggestions will be welcome

It all depends on how many MB of Video ram you have. If you have 16mb, you'll be able to play pretty much anything that came out before 2000.

Here's my lil list:

Anachronox
Quake 1,2,3
Starcraft
Soldier of Fortune
The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall
Half-Life
Delta Force
Deus Ex
Hitman 1
Unreal
KingPin
Balder's Gate 1 and 2
Fallout 1 and 2
Ultima Online on free servers
Gothic
Arcanum
System Shock 1 and 2
Undying
Syberia
The Longest Journey
Age of Empires 1 and 2

and MUCH MUCH MORE

I played all those games plus more on my old k6-350 with a voodoo 3 16mb 3d card and 64mb of ram

I'm guessing Doom III is out? :)

I second the vote for Baldur's Gate I and II, if you play thro both of those that'll be about 100 hours of pure quality gaming.

Ooh, and Heroes of Might and Magic III. I love that game too.

Love all those games!

Also if you want some old-school Doom loving with a nice 3D accelerated twist, download the jDoom wrapper and buy the entire Doom I / II / Ultimate Doom collection from WalMart for $9.96 and play it all over again in OpenGL accelerated dynamically lit high-res-textured 3D-modeled glory ;)

Docta_Z said:
Red Alert!!

:d

Hell ya!

I also reccomend Command and Conquer: Tiberium Sun that may or may not work. I played it on a K62 @ my friends house with 256Ram, I dont know the rest of the specs.

I too say UT, heck I still play the original along with 2k4 that is. :)

I loved Red Alert. Found an editor called RedEdit98 which let you customize settings for all of the units and vehicles. Had a lot of fun arming everything with nuclear warheads...submarines, aircraft, even people. My favorite was the civilian with a nuclear-armed pistol.

A really good game though, better than the orginal I think.

Oh yeah I loved RedEdit98. They also had a SunEdit for Tiberium Sun. Made games really interesting. It was funny tho if you sped a unit up to much the game had a bug where the unit would be rolling and spinging in circles even when its not moving, lol. Looks hilarious.

I almost forgot try Total Annilation!

Try Starcraft and Starcraft: Brood War, and try Diablo 2 and its expansion, Lord of Destruction.

SniperXX said:
Oh yeah I loved RedEdit98. They also had a SunEdit for Tiberium Sun. Made games really interesting. It was funny tho if you sped a unit up to much the game had a bug where the unit would be rolling and spinging in circles even when its not moving, lol. Looks hilarious.

I almost forgot try Total Annilation!

Yeah I know what you mean about making units too fast. I have had no luck getting that game to run on XP. Still have RedEdit98 and my saves.

DMac-
I wish I could frind my cds... lol. I've had good luck getting most of my games to work, but they are always a pain to figure out. If you want do some google searches, thats usually how I get my games to work. I find sites that help get old games to run under XP, theres quite a few of them too. :)

Also, did you ever play a skirmish or lan game so long a black hole developed in the level? It would move around and zap any unit or structure near by. It was super powerful, anything cossed its path was a goner. :eek:

Ahh. I got my friends into it after my cousin showed me it, lol. Even my dad's friends were into it and still game which is cool. Im almost 18 now, man that was along time ago, lol.

Talking about it makes me want to play it again! Well...gonna have to boot up the old PII machine with Win98 and install it.

hmmm, well, a game i realy enjoy playing on my ghetto rig (see sig) is Hitman, its lotsa fun!

Planescape Torment, IMHO the best story ever.

A realy good one to go play is Jedi knight, the first one, it is damn good game!!

all the old Rainbow 6 and Rogue Spear games

7 kingdoms is a realy fun game

X-com UFO defense Ruleth overeth Alleth!! that is a damn good game!!!

I also recommend Baldur's Gate 1 and 2...

And, Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns & Kohan: Ahriman's Gift. (Great RTS)

John G

Back