• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good Server Board for Linux/BSD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Breadfan

Inactive Moderator
I'm building a very small Linux or BSD server here at work to house some small MySQL databases, and need to build a small server to house it all.

Right now the system is intended for one small database, and perhaps in the future some minor things such as a phpBB system, and maybe a few other small db's. Usage will probably be on average 10 users at a time, many times less than that, and maybe a few times up to 20-30. The db I'll be using first is very small, and only one table.

As a result of these needs, but budget is around $500. If things catch on, and we go bigger, that might grow later.

But for now, I want a small reliable server with mirroring RAID. (Preferrably hardware RAID)

I need to find a good mobo though. I'm probably gonna go AMD, not really thinking of going 64-bit though. I'll go Intel if something comparable or better can be put together for $500.

I'm just not sure what chipset I should use...I'm either using RedHat 9 or FreeBSD as the OS. I'm not sure how they would like an nForce2 board, so I was hoping to find a good reliable KT400 solution...maybe they also wouldn't mind a KT600 chipset board. (Basically I want a board that will allow for a trouble free install and hardware detection...don't wanna spend too much time trying to force install 3rd party drivers if I can avoid that by buying the right hardware...)

Also, most RAID nowadays is not IDE but SATA. How would these OS'es take SATA drives or SATA raid? Is SATA raid any good these days?

Anyway, I need some good board suggestions. If you can, post links where to buy them. Like I said, I don't mind getting a generator or two old board iwth IDE RAID for now.

I'll most likely be using a tbred CPU, probably the cheapest one I find, say, an 1800+. For now, I'll probably stick to 512mb of RAM, and use a dedicated vid-card. Onboard NIC is optional, I'll use it if it has it, or just use a 3Com NIC -- like I said, right now this system need not be uber-redundant or expensive.

Thanks in advance!

You would probably be better off with a VIA chipset motherboard. All the drivers for mine are built into the 2.6.x kernel and it's been running perfectly stable for a couple months now. The system I have this on is an MSI KT4V. I think this board would suit you just fine. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-130-438&depa=0 Throw in an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ for $50. I would recommend the RocketRAID 404 from highpoint for a dedicated hardware RAID 1 solution. It supports hot swapping of the drives if you ever move into a position that requires that capability. 512MB of PC2700 from newegg for around 100$ (you could save a few dollars and use 2100 if you don't plan to overclock). The cheapest videocard I could find on newegg. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-130-161&depa=0 You didn't say whether or not you needed hard drives, power supply, or case and the board has onboard lan so I left them out of the estimate. That brings the total to ~409.50 which leaves room for more RAM or a faster processor (I would get more RAM). Hope that helps you a bit.

Yeah, you shouldn't have trouble with a kt266/333/400 board. Nforce2 boards work fine too (I've never had a driver problem). Not so sure about FreeBSD (all mine are duallies).

A network card is cheap if you find that the onboard one is going to be a pain. Avoid via rhine onboard NICs if you can.

For raid, I would only go with a pci card, hardware raid solution. And I'd stay away from SATA, although if its hardware raid it probably has a linux driver. You could also just setup lvm and do raid without a raid controller.

Back