• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good Socket-A cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheNewbie

Hi I have recently purchased a 2400Xp-m and need some advice on a good cooler for it. I am considering the sp-97 because the last cooler I had from thermalright(and am still using slk-800) was and has been an awsome cooler but just up till now I have had any problem w/ it. But I am also looking ast this cooler Areocool DP-102 looks like a sweet cooler but how does it perform against the sp-97? Which is ultimately what matters to me. Thanks for any help!

Unless it's been dropped or abused in some way how does one develop a problem with a heatsink?
In any case I would just stick with a Thermalright unit.

I arise at a problem when it no longer sufficiently meets my cooling needs therefore I need a better cooler. Have you heard anything about the Areocool DP-102 hsf? Its rated up to 3600xp+ and intel 3.6ghz.

Sorry, I misinterpreted what you had written your first post.
Apparently the they don't perform as good as they look.
Their numbers under load aren't that impressive.

http://www.bjorn3d.com/_preview.php?articleID=386

"When things start to heat up however, the Aerocool comes within about 1.5C of the stock AMD cooler. This small variance may be acceptable for the average gamer like me, but I would be leery to recommend this product to someone who was planning on doing any overclocking."

Last edited:
I'm using an alpha pal8045 heatsink with a panaflo 40cfm fan. It's running my 2500+ XP-M @ 2.5ghz and ~40 celcius stable. The Alpha S-Pal8055 looks good also, I haven't used it however and can't give it a personal thumbs up. Both are a good buy for the money though and I couldn't be happier with my 8045.

Yes but review is short of PAR on the DP-102. They tesetd it w/ stock grease which came w/ that hsf and they were only using one slow rpm 60mm fam when it is designed for atleat 2 60mm,70mm or 80mm fans. I found this review to be better using what would be more to my actual rig setup using two 80mm's and AS-5 paste.
http://www.viperlair.com/reviews/case_cool/other/heatsinks/aerocool/dp102/p2.shtml

Looks pretty promising the review on the sp-97 seems to be close to this here: http://www.pcabusers.com/reviews/thermalright/sp97/p3.html

the sp-97 w/ a quiet fan runs a few degrees c hotter than th dp-102 under full load

I have the Alpha PAL8942 which is the P4 version of the 8045 basic posted about. I have a 80MM Delta FFB0812EHE screamer keeping the 2.4C P4 at 48C at full load running 3300 Mhz with 1.675 Volts. I am really happy with the performance for this heatsink for air cooling but it's time for the P4 to go the way of the Athlon and get wet.

Wow those Zalman's look pretty impressive beating out the sp's by a few degrees c. Worth looking into i'd say looking for more reviews that could have the dp-102 ,Sp-97, and zalmans competing against eachother.

Back