• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Goodbye to fast P4... hello XP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
TC said:
I just ordered a refurbished kr7a and a 1600+ Hopefully it will be a good stepping. I wish some more people were interested in the diskless setup. Once it's running it's so easy to add a new cruncher, not to mention much cheaper. Just lay the board on a table and put the psu next to it. All you need is the board, cpu, ram, psu, and a nic - either built in or pci. There's no time spent installing an os and the client. Just boot the system and it's crunching. I'll try to finish the how-to this weekend.

You're guaranteed to get an AGOIA or AROIA since Newegg always carry the lastest batch of hardware. The KR7A's bandwidth is great, similar to the KR7A, the KX7-333 (KR7A w/ KT333), has hit real high fsbs even though it has a 1/4 divider (Hallen has several Morgan's 180-190fsb) also, without a HDD for a diskless cruncher you may get alot higher. Although Hallen has some secrets up his sleeve. When hallen was giving my rig a test ride he was getting 2:50wu's :) You may even get lucky and get a "Y" ;)

Good Luck.

TC said:
They should be getting better. I had noticed that the early production run seems to overclock less than the last of the pallys.

I have news of the next Athlon XP processors to be released as the 2400+ and and 2600+ to combat the on going competition from Intel. While simple speed increases are not big news for a processor, there is more to this than meets the eye. Even before the introduction of the Athlon XP 2200+ processor, AMD knew they were having a small problem with the .13 micron cores and thus a second revision of the Thoroughbred core was put underway. This new revision, while not officially announced (and it may not be) is under going some testing with great results. The 2400+ processor is set to run at 2.0 GHz and the 2600+ processor is looking to be at 2.13 Ghz. As Intel has plans of releasing a 3.0 Ghz processor towards the end of this year, this kind of speed boost from AMD is desperately needed -- perhaps even more.

As if things couldn't get better, along with this news comes an update on the fabled 333 MHz FSB Athlons. I was told that the AMD labs are really looking into this and testing it out with the newer "rev 2" cores of the Thoroughbred. While AMD could take the current 266 MHz FSB up to the 2.13 GHz range, moving beyond that would be very tricky and I have it on good authority that AMD has a lot more life in the Thoroughbred than many are expecting. What does that mean? I think we are going to see the 333 MHz FSB processors and fairly soon. The inside tip also explained that a decision by the AMD authorities on whether or not to use the 333 MHz FSB will be finalized within the next three weeks.

http://www.amdmb.com/index.php#News-4792

Back