• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got a new job, guess what...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neuromancer

Time to design a new gaming pc.

I have a 8800GTS (g90 but 640MB) coming in a trade with a friend.

I am finishing up my HTPC. Just need a quad core and another 320 perp and a heatsink that fits in the LC20.
Then it will be...

Q6600 g0
Silverstone LC20 (have)
2600 pro HDMI out to TV (will have)
IP 35 pro (have)
2x2GB GSkill 8000 (have)
2x320 perps in raid0 for os apps and encoding temp storage (half have)
750GB for video (will add a second later) (have)
Corsair 520 (have)
Using onboard for now since it will pass through DDL and DTS.. but will eventually upgrade back to an auzentech and run everything in DDL

So I want to build a wicked gaming rig
Now if I get the rocketfish cases this weekend...then I will be using one of them if not then I will be using my NZXT zero (slight mods)

This will eventually be watercooled so I was thinking about building in that direction.

Right now I have
e6550 currently using a tuniq tower for 50C load at 3500MHz. Stock intel copper cored cooler runs 56C load at 3500MHz :screwy:
2x1GB Teamgroup 667 3-3-3-8 running it at 1000 5-5-5 right now going to work on getting it to 4cas tonight maybe. need to get some fans on it though
8800GTS 640MB
PCP&C silencer 750W
2x80GB WD drives raided
40GB game ISO drive

Looking at

ASUS maximus mobo since it has WC block on NB already and heatpiped to the PWMs...
but
The EVGA 750i FTW looks decent too.

but.. the 8800 is my first nVidia card in a long time. (last one was a 7900GT, before that the FX5200 which I ran for a week before taking it back and getting another radeon 7000)

OCZ Flex II 2x2GB 9200 ram reviews show it running 1080 at 4-4-4-12 1250 at 5-5-5 without using the built in watercooling. Rated to 2.4v +/-5%

2x150GB raptors for gaming performance, then move the dual 80's to storage duty

E8400 although quads are great for gaming, I noticed when going back to dual core on my current gaming rig, the little hiccoughs you get when having lots of background stuff running on a dual core. I do not notice them anymore, (been almost 6 months with out a quad) which just goes to show you how minor they are. But a 4GHz core2 arch just sounds so tempting. Maybe if I really pinch pennies I can find a deal on used xtreme quad and hope for 4GHz :)

Swifttech MCR320
Gotta digup my WC thread and look at blocks and pumps again.. and see what barb size is on the ram and whether I am going to Y off to the smaller size or just run a mini loop for the little stuff and a seperate maybe 2x120mm rad.

I am a little cruxed at what to do with the mobo. I have never dual gpued before, in fact sorta against, but this is going to be only a gaming/benching rig. So I figured I will try the nVidia out just for FPS sake. This PC wont be on 24/7 so i dont need to worry about the energy costs.

ATI is releasing new cards in 2 months maybe... which I am not going to wait that long to build this rig, but my first purchase is going to be the motherboard so I need to decide SLI or not now.

So

Motherboard recommendation. SLI or not.
Heatsink recommendation for an oced quad in a LC20 case on an IP35 pro mobo. (had the SI-120 recommended to me already.. looks a little skimpy though for a quad) plus its a top down blower.. and I would like to avoid chopping the case up if possible. (I mod cases all the time but would rather have one point to the exhaust fans)
Video card recommendation... get a second G90 640MB if I go SLI or upgrade (this will not be right away, I do not even have the first one yet).

Back