• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got couple bucks I can spend on my aging rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Willdozer30

My rig in my sig is obviously aged and was curious on opinions about how best to spend 200bucks to get more life out of it! I'm not big gamer or anything pc related big!
I'm putting my mothers old VHS on 2tb hdd to to slowly get her library on DVD and I play battlefield series and assasins creed series mostly. Other than that it's just office machine

Thinking maybe gtx670
Or new am3+ board with 4slots and 2x4gb to upgrade later to 16gb and 8core if games start utilizing more than 4cores.

Suggestions anyone?

I don't see your signature...you must be posting from mobile?

Depending on what you have, with $200, you may want to save up for a new rig..

Don't laugh to hard it's been a while since did any upgrades...
Asrock a785gm added heat sinks to mosfets
Pii 955be 3.9ghz p95 ibt memtest stable
4gb ocz fAtal1ty 810mhz
Gtx460se 800mhz
Wdvelociraptor
Wd caviar black 1tb os win7,64bit on 150gb partion
Wd green 2tb just archive storage
Corsair tx750 psu
Avermedia hd capture card

Sorry bout that didn't realize mobile leaves out sig

Save up for a total upgrade is my advice. About the only thing you can move to the new PC would be the HDDs and the PSU and your capture card.

Save up for a total upgrade is my advice. About the only thing you can move to the new PC would be the HDDs and the PSU and your capture card.

I'm with EarthDog. Start saving up, and depending on how much and how fast you put it together, buy into either Broadwell or Skylake. AMD is no longer really a good choice for 99.9% of people out there. Unless you are on a very tight budget, in which case, for some tasks, a low end AMD is preferable to a low end Intel. But to get a true upgrade from your 955, you're going to need to go i5 as a minimum IMO. There are certain very specific tasks where an 8 core AMD would match/beat an i5/i7, but they are very few and far between. The average person is best off buying an i5 or i7. In addition to higher IPC performance, Intel chips don't produce as much heat, and don't put nearly as much strain on the motherboard's power delivery components. While an FX AMD 8 core would be best off on a $200 board like a Crosshair V, you can plop an i7 into a $90 board no problem and even overclock it.

Also, AMD doesn't even give you PCIE 3.0 on their "enthusiast" (FX) platform. Intel has been giving people PCIE 3.0 since 2012. It's just sad really.

Save up for a new system you won't regret it.

Would I see substantial gaming gains with a 670 in my build?

I was thinking intel next build unless amd pulls a few aces out their sleeve !
100buck mobo 120for ram and what would be a good model i5? And roughly how much?
I have no idea about Intel line of cpu aside from some are i3 i5 i7
A gtx670 should hold it's own for a couple years from now yes?

GTX 670 is equivalent to about a 760 and is already a pretty slow GPU by today's standards. It might hold you over for a year or so at probably-not-max-details at 1080P. You'd be wiser to pick up a 970 or an R9 290 though. The 970 runs cooler and has DX12 compatibility, which makes it a no brainer IMO. But if funds are tight, $220 can get you a 290 if you shop around. Much more power than a 670.

GTX 670 is equivalent to about a 760 and is already a pretty slow GPU by today's standards. It might hold you over for a year or so at probably-not-max-details at 1080P. You'd be wiser to pick up a 970 or an R9 290 though. The 970 runs cooler and has DX12 compatibility, which makes it a no brainer IMO. But if funds are tight, $220 can get you a 290 if you shop around. Much more power than a 670.

Again, dx12 isn't even out yet lol

I don't care about being cutting edge. I'd actually prefer to be behind in times to save the cash. I thinking cause new ddr4 and 900series gpu out it might be time to take up some slack. I'm guessing 670gtx would be a huge upgrade FOR ME... I figure anything faster than a 670 would be bottleneck on my system anyway

Well a 670 is roughly a 580 which is one step above a 480, and 3 steps above a 460, so it would be an upgrade for you. I personally would wait and upgrade the whole system though.

Ok I'm not familiar with intel what would be a budget i5 build cost any suggestions on specific parts?

Ok I'm not familiar with intel what would be a budget i5 build cost any suggestions on specific parts?

Do you want to overclock?

You're looking at about $380 for the CPU/MOBO/RAM

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mistersprinkles/saved/ZM2Zxr

You'll need new RAM since you should always use matched pairs and OCZ hasn't made RAM since dinosaurs roamed the earth.

If you don't want to overclock we can swap that i5/K out for a Xeon. Same price. You'd be stuck around 3.4Ghz vs 4.4Ghz but you'd gain an extra 2MB of L3 cache and hyperthreading (the ability for 1 core to handle 2 threads). Most people choose frequency over HT and go with the i5/K. If you want to go all out there's the i7/K option which gives you what the xeon does+ what the i5/K does. You'd be looking at a 4790K for about $330 in that case.

Obviously if you want to OC you'll need an appropriate aftermarket cooling solution. Depending on what you have now, and whether you have the Intel mounting hardware (for socket 1156 or later) available, you might be able to re use it.

If you do go the intel route, a 670 will be sort of underkill. You'll want to go at least R9 290 ($220-240) or GTX 970 ($330-350). Both are 4GB cards.

I have a seidon 120v with pushpull.
I5/k with ram and ddr3. 8gig? And appropriate mobo for about 380 ?
That would help alot with the video capturing and DVD burning yes ?
And allow oc to help keep up with times a little

Last edited:
Back