• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPT Disk ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BruceUSA

I was sucessfully back up my 240g SSD OS using Acronic True Image Home 2011. Previousely, my 240g SSD die. So, I went on to get a 360g SSD of the same brand. The problem now, is my 360g SSD is a GPT disk and I can not performace system back up with Acronic True Image home 2011.

What other software do you using to back up your GPT disk? Or is there any way to reverse GPT disk to NTFS disk?

GPT and NTFS are not in the same catergory - you mean MBR. GPT and MBR are partition tables.

You can boot into something like gparted and get your partition tables and partitions in order before you restore your image. I used clonezilla to backup my image to a spare hard drive before I restored it on a new SSD.

GPT is most useful on disks greater than 2 TB (which is the maximum limit for an MBR-formatted disk). GPT does provide some additional security, though, in that is has at least one backup copy of the partition table in case it gets corrupted. I'd get better backup software rather than reformatting the disk, though. Backup software has no business with the disk format. If it's actually backing up the partition table, then that's bad backup software; GPT has been around since at least 2010, so a "2011" version not knowing how to process it is a POS.

Last edited:
GPT is most useful on disks greater than 2 TB (which is the maximum limit for an MBR-formatted disk). GPT does provide some additional security, though, in that is has at least one backup copy of the partition table in case it gets corrupted. I'd get better backup software rather than reformatting the disk, though. Backup software has no business with the disk format. If it's actually backing up the partition table, then that's bad backup software; GPT has been around since at least 2010, so a "2011" version not knowing how to process it is a POS.

Thank you.. I bought new software and I was able to perform system backup. $29 its pretty good. They even offer the basic version for free. The paying version is supports GPT Disk and cheap. I like it so far.

Back