• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU Heat..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

djc1988

Registered
So iv had this coolermaster 1000w 80plus silver PSU for a good few years. I replaced the fan a while back because for some reason the 2 pin thermal speed controller in the PSU went kapoot. Ever since then iv been struggling to find a good replacement fan. Atm iv got a 1300RPM 65CFM fan in it atm. Problem is even though with that decent airflow the PSU gets burning to touch when playing high end games and i think its causing my Overclock to be unstable (higher power draw = more heat ofc. Duno what to do from here. Is it time to just buy a replacment or what?

Well, there isnt many setups that can tax a 1000W PSU... but that said, we have no idea what system you have. If you would please be so kind as to list it, that would be a start (create a signature is best, really).

That said, the PSU may be going bad if the fan is working properly moving air through and out of the PSU.

In my signature is a link to a list of just some of the approved PSU's. Check it out.

Thats odd sorry i thought i had my sig ready. Its saved to my profile but doesnt seem to show up :S

Il paste it here anyway mate :)

GPU ---------- GTX 580 1.5gb SLI (Water)
CPU ---------- i7 920 @ 4.2ghz (Water)
RAM ---------- 16GB GSkill Ripjaw X series 1600Mhz
OS ---------- Windows 7 Ultimate x64
STORAGE ---------- 256GB Sandisk SSD
MOTHERBOARD ---------- GIGABYTE - GA-X58A-UD5

Is it OK for PSU to be burning hot to the touch? Only when heavy gaming though. Iv heard a few people saying they can take quite a bit of heat

Sounds like the PSU is just dying to me, you shouldn't be anywhere near 1kW. More like 750W if you were running F@H or something.

Try a more powerful fan. Cindy Wu would be massive overkill unless it's a rack server unit (not to mention you'll need to build a circuit to make the control signal for it), but 1300 RPM is really weak. A 120mm fan out of a 550W Antec PSU operates at about 2000RPM. Maybe go for 3000RPM or more.

Since you seem comfortable opening the PSU, also make sure the secondary side caps have not gone bad. Apart from those and the fan, there is little that commonly goes wrong but leaves the PSU in a partly working state.

You need a higher airflow fan. Single/two phase or three phase doesn't matter in the slightest from an airflow standpoint at the consumer level, it shouldn't even be mentioned in this thread as it just confuses issues.

Put a higher speed fan in, the PSU should not be painful to touch.

You need a higher airflow fan. Single/two phase or three phase doesn't matter in the slightest from an airflow standpoint at the consumer level, it shouldn't even be mentioned in this thread as it just confuses issues.

Put a higher speed fan in, the PSU should not be painful to touch.
As I mentioned before, not all 3 phase fans are Cindy Wu and in fact, the few PSUs that do use Cindy Wu drive are likely going to be 2 phase due to the difficulties of making a 3 phase motor that small. And while it's true that it's unlikely to make a difference in a PSU fan, it can definitely make a big difference in a case fan. (And most of us here are by no means ordinary consumers...)

All the Cindy Wu's in the world make NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL IN THIS SITUATION.
Please, can the Cindy Wu talk until its relevant.

It is not, as you just admitted, likely to make the slightest difference here.

To be fair, there could be a difference in case temps. (Though you'll be much better off with it as a case fan to cool everything including the PSU.) And while it's overkill, it will work.

Sure, so will a roots blower and an electric motor. Does it need mentioning? Absolutely not.

so i just replaced my PSU with a Platinum XFX 1000W pro black edition and it seems all dandy now. I think I may have semi killed my old 1k coolermaster with the low rpm fan :/ but hey this new one is a beast. its basically a rebranded seasonic platinum 1k. (few £ cheaper =))

the capacity on the old one must have been totally f***** because im getting a whole 20fps more in Crysis 3. old PSU must have been maxing out below my system power usage ? seems to make sense now that the display would just cut off when playing games. not enough W

the capacity on the old one must have been totally f***** because im getting a whole 20fps more in Crysis 3. old PSU must have been maxing out below my system power usage ? seems to make sense now that the display would just cut off when playing games. not enough W

atleast i think thats what would happen. the GPU's would throttle back due to the lack of Power?

Back