• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU load

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beatnbronco

Does HDMI, VGA, and DVI each have a different effect on the load that a GPU has to endure? I ask this because as soon as I start up Arma III, I will either get a pink, gray, or green screen then my PC will restart. I'm trying to find ways to take some load off my GPU so any advise would help. Thanks for any help

Don't think it's related to the connector. I've heard (and experienced) bad display port cables, but it's built differently. Does this issue happen in other 3d applications, such as games or benchmarks?

I would do a stress test with the CPU and GPU at the same time to see if there is a problem.

What happened to me once with a GTX 580: I grabbed it cheap from Ebay (in 2012, for 50 bucks). FOr whatever reason, the vBios was corrupted, and I was getting this result anytime it was on load. I flashed back with original bios, and Psshhttt... problem gone!

All my drivers are up to date, my bios, everything is good but the problem with the card. It only happens loading up game, it's good on performance test. What's another good program to load test?

What happened to me once with a GTX 580: I grabbed it cheap from Ebay (in 2012, for 50 bucks). FOr whatever reason, the vBios was corrupted, and I was getting this result anytime it was on load. I flashed back with original bios, and Psshhttt... problem gone!
You mean the bios for the mobo?

Does HDMI, VGA, and DVI each have a different effect on the load that a GPU has to endure?

No. GPU load is the load on the GPU, as in how many instructions per second it's executing compared to the maximum it's capable of. The cable type you use has nothing to do with that. You could disconnect the monitor all together and it wouldent matter.

Nope, from the video card (vBios).
Yeah, I should research before asking questions. It's not something I've done before but I believe I could. I did read about customizing the vbios but what if I just want to use the original, just flash it Incase it is corrupted? Is there a way to test it for corruption?

Yeah, I should research before asking questions. It's not something I've done before but I believe I could. I did read about customizing the vbios but what if I just want to use the original, just flash it Incase it is corrupted? Is there a way to test it for corruption?

No way that I know to test for corruption. Not much risk flashing the original vBios either (even less risk if the card is dead ;)). Last option is baking the card... Worked a couple of times for me.

I haven't baked it but I have used a heat gun and replaced the thermal paste
Ive killed cards with thermal paste before. If it is non conductive paste you are probably safe, but I would take a close look and make sure you didnt get a drop of paste over on the the capacitors. I had one card that started working again after cleaning up sloppy paste... Didnt fix the problem completely but I got to the desktop again.

Also have you tried a different pci-e slot? And blow some compressed air through the old one while you have the card out. Good luck :)

Ive killed cards with thermal paste before. If it is non conductive paste you are probably safe, but I would take a close look and make sure you didnt get a drop of paste over on the the capacitors. I had one card that started working again after cleaning up sloppy paste... Didnt fix the problem completely but I got to the desktop again.

Also have you tried a different pci-e slot? And blow some compressed air through the old one while you have the card out. Good luck :)
Everything is clean, I use thermal take paste which is gray colored and I use this small plastic paddle that comes with the paste and I spread a thin layer(but not too thin) onto the chip. I clean my computer completely every Sunday. My motherboard only has 1 pci-e slot so I can't test it in another one. I looked inside the slot with the cam on my phone and all looks good. I'm gonna look for another card to get me by till I save up for another system. If anyone knows of a good GPU that uses PCI power plugs and 3gb or more and hopefully I can get for a good deal please let me know

Found a GTX 760 4gb that's working great. Search is over. Now looking to switch from desktop to server platform

Back