• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED GPU memory heatsinks, do these seem legit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Better than no heatsinks on them I'd say.

Of course, being from china might not be all that great.
Maybe pick up some thermal tape from frozencpu eh?

For RAM, absolutely.
It's aluminum, it'll be fine. Even horrendously contaminated aluminum will beat no heatsink.

For RAM, absolutely.
It's aluminum, it'll be fine. Even horrendously contaminated aluminum will beat no heatsink.

The heatsink in it self is probably fine, yes. But I'm a bit skeptical to the tape since there is no mention of its heat transferring capabilities anywhere, so I'm thinking it may be a major bottleneck.

I had some from zalman that look similar and the tape was identical and it got hot enough that it melted the temp probe cable that was between the fins.

I had some from zalman that look similar and the tape was identical and it got hot enough that it melted the temp probe cable that was between the fins.

That doesn't really say anything about the heat transferring capabilities, since whatever the sink was attached to could have been 20 - 30 C hotter than the sink itself.

It looks like the right stuff. Try it out and see if the heatsink gets warm when the GPU is under a serious load.
Or better yet, feel the bare ram chip under load, then put the heatsink on, then feel that under the same load.

That doesn't really say anything about the heat transferring capabilities, since whatever the sink was attached to could have been 20 - 30 C hotter than the sink itself.

it was used as intended vga mem heatsink on a 6670;)it was better then nothing :)

i make my own heatsinks from larger heat sinks with a hacksaw and a dremel for fine tuning or odd shapes. i mix arctic silver 5 with superglue or model cement 1:1 for an adhesive. works good and is removable later on.

i make my own heatsinks from larger heat sinks with a hacksaw and a dremel for fine tuning or odd shapes. i mix arctic silver 5 with superglue or model cement 1:1 for an adhesive. works good and is removable later on.

I use super glue in 4 dots in each corner and a dot of as5 in the center . It can be removed after as well if needed

I did the dots of glue routine for a while, eventually switched to tape. I like tape better as the superglue almost always solidified too soon and created a gap. I buy tape in fairly large lots on ebay.

Wow, I would have never thought about mixing glue and thermal paste, nor using superglue alone :p What do you guys think about the pci fan bracket?

I did the dots of glue routine for a while, eventually switched to tape. I like tape better as the superglue almost always solidified too soon and created a gap. I buy tape in fairly large lots on ebay.
I switched to thermal tape a long time ago since it's easier to work with and won't impact resale value, but I gave up on 3M tape after it fell off one time too many. I strictly use sekisui tape from eBay now since I haven't had any fall off yet. Helps to clean chips thoroughly with an eraser and then use a hairdryer to bond the tape briefly.

I still have a bunch of similar zalman heatsinks like the ones in the OP, but I haven't really found a use for them nowadays since I keep running into copper Enzotech packs.

I think I'm gonna wait with the heatsinks. I found this (Yes I shop a lot of crap from ebay):

1676-G.jpg
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360701837974?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

It has an accuracy of 2 C or 2%, which I figure more than enough. I'm gonna check its accuracy when I get it, and then measure different areas of the card under load and see if there is any need for additional cooling. I figure this thing could give me peace of mind once and for all, concerning the temps in my pc :)

Can't say I'd trust it to be within 2% or 2°c, not direct from china.
It'll probably be accurate to itself though, which will work for your purposes on GPU testing.

I also have some doubts, but like I said I'm gonna check its accuracy when I get it. Probably using ice water and some other thermometer.

Back