• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU Questions.. Can I use 2 monitors with 2 GPUs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zuzzz

Premium Member
I want to be use my built in GPU on the 2600k for 1 monitor and the 6950 for the second. Can I do this and still enjoy extended desktop feature? Will I have to use Eyefinity? My plan is to upgrade to 2 1080p panels soon from these 720p's I have now. I suspect Ill suffer performance issues if I use both screens on the 6950. Will the use of LucidLogix be of any benefit in this configuration? I want to be able to watch video on either screen but not both at the same time. I do not wish to Xfire. If i use 2 GPUs like this will I have to use a particular screen to say play games or watch video as the slower on-chip GPU isnt as good as the 6950? (<-- sorry for the run on.) As it is now I can play games and watch video on either screen. I do not wish to lose that functionality. I guess what I am asking is will my set up still work the same as it does now? And yes I am a bit confused on what Im trying to ask but I think I managed to choke it out lol

Current set up 2x 720P panels on a HD6950. (on-board disabled)
NEW set up 1x 1080p on the GPUin the 2600K + 1x 1080p on the HD 6950.

Z

With lucid virtu, you can use motherboard's video ports as if they were on your GPU. Enabling the onboard gpu will not increase performance, it's not what virtu mvp does.

You should probably just attach the screens to the 6950 and be done with it. Virtu mvp is nothing but fluff generally. What it is expected to do actually is make gaming smoother with vsync and hyperformance(not always). It does not work as a crossfire gpu. It will have make no difference in your performance drop from upgraded resolution, perhaps will even reduce fps to add smoothness.

In the end, you either put both screens on a card or crossfire it with another 6950 imho.

Yeah...just attach both to the 6950. The performance difference basically nothing, and it'll be less headache.

Think the 6950 will deliver fair enough performance with 2 1080s? Will the 2 1080s bring it to its knees?I dont mind a slight difference but I do not want to say drop from 100 fps to 25. Otherwise it seems you are all very correct in that the LV MVP will do nothing to help performance. Guess I'll be surfing for a better GPU setup. I bought this 1GBXFX card not realizing it was the 1GB version. I was needless to say a little disappointed when it didnt unlock. (Yes I have tried all the tricks no luck it will not unlock.)

TY All
Z

Back