• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gpu replacement fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boucleinfinie

Hey, chappers. This is my first post, but I've been reading here for years. I'm having this issue with my GPU fans on the ROG Matrix 280x platinum. They are making a droning noise and a noise that sounds like a dying harddrive, what I'd assume would be the fan bearings (or whatever the fan has, I have no idea). Instead of RMAing it I'd rather replace the fans, as I've got a really good overclocking chip. Still testing it out. Maybe I'm just having the AMD overclocking experience for the first time and this is normal. I don't know.

Anyway, I can't seem to find much about GPU fan replacements on the internet.

I've found multiple cheap Evercool fans, but that's not something I want. So it got me thinking: although it'd be expensive, and the fans don't get up to the same RPM, would it be possible to buy something like those 92mm x 92mm x 10mm Noctua fans, pop the hubs off, and stick them on where the GPU fans were? I know I need the thinner fans to do this, and I know I might need to do some wire crimping, but do you guys have any experience with this? Would the more expensive 2200 RPM fans be able to keep up with the heat that some cheaper 3000 RPM fans could keep at 70~80c on a full load?

Thanks for whatever input i get, fellers.

Here's what my computer looks like right now, in case you guys are curious:

ROG Impact
i7-4770k with a noctua nh-d14
8GB 2133mhz ram
ROG 280x platinum, which is a 3 slot card
2x Vertex 3 120gb in raid 0
7200 RPM 1TB HHD
seasonic 750 modular psu
All in my prodigy.

My peripherals worth mentioning:
X-star 27inch 1440p monitor
Roccat kone pure mouse
daskeyboard with mx browns

Attachments

• IMG_1588 (Large).JPG
    IMG_1588 (Large).JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_1586 (Large).JPG
    IMG_1586 (Large).JPG
    235.6 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:
Just ordered a ASUS DCII TOP 280X myself hope mine doesn't do that.

And I'm a big Noctua fan myself also, but not sure how well they would work on a vid card.

Deltas take a bit of work incorportating them in I'd imagine, as are a bit industiral types unless I'm wrong.

Maybe RMA a it if it's new ??

I think I read researching them sometimes before I ordered the 280X thats on the way it could be coming from having a PSU that isn't maybe up to supporting the GPU ?

Last edited:
Hmm a 750 Seasonic, not saying much but from some reviews Id read.....

People on the forums have been recommending them these days, I thought they used to be one of those PSU's that people joked about blowing up and made videos of......

*edit* my bad from what I'd read they are very dependable, must have had a brain fart over the manufacturer on that one.

Last edited:
I'm not sure you're fans are the issue to be honest, I'd wait for a few more answers before tearing the card apart myself.

Yeah, I don't know. If I stop the fans the droning and dying harddrive sounds stop. I decided to just keep the card until it fails. I'm being raised by my family's last generation of mennonites, so i've got an excuse to be cheap.

also shhhhh the green reminds me of spring and given that i'll be mostly on this thing during the fall and winter I thought it'd be a nice relaxing colour.

Yeah, I don't know. If I stop the fans the droning and dying harddrive sounds stop. I decided to just keep the card until it fails. I'm being raised by my family's last generation of mennonites, so i've got an excuse to be cheap.

also shhhhh the green reminds me of spring and given that i'll be mostly on this thing during the fall and winter I thought it'd be a nice relaxing colour.

Mennonites are Christians from the Mid-East aren't they? Not a good place to be Christian these days.

Did you cut out the side-panel to provide that excellent ventilation for the video card? Doesn't dust get all over the video card w/that setup? I'll bet it gets kinda noisy when the video card fans ramp up at higher loads.

Ha, as far as I know, my family went from Ireland to Germany to Russia, then to Manitoba in Canada. We're considered German Mennonites. Couldn't tell you more than that. We don't practice, but we've still got super cheap ways.

It is a tri-slot card and the Prodigy only has 2 slots. Eventually I'll be attaching a mesh there with some dust filtering foam. It's been making the gross noises since I got it. I overclocked it to 1200mhz core and 1640mhz memory and I haven't heard any coil whine since then. I'm still messing with the memory and have yet to tweak the load-line calibration and VRM frequency. I do clean it out often enough.

It is a tri-slot card and the Prodigy only has 2 slots. Eventually I'll be attaching a mesh there with some dust filtering foam. It's been making the gross noises since I got it. I overclocked it to 1200mhz core and 1640mhz memory and I haven't heard any coil whine since then. I'm still messing with the memory and have yet to tweak the load-line calibration and VRM frequency. I do clean it out often enough.

If you put dust filtering foam over the video card port you might want to make
sure it's not right next to the fan intakes, because that will make the fans run louder and harder.

Did you paint your case that unique color? Or did it come that way?

Okay well the first dvi port stopped working today and the second is making my screen flash fairly obnoxiously, or I'm noticing 60hz refresh and need to bump it up. I guess I'll be RMAing it. Thanks for the conversation, guys.

Back