• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
if your gpu is one of the newer nvidia cards (fx era) then they have an onboard temp sensor - look in the video card settings for "temperatures" and itll tell you your lowest idle temp and your current temps. However if you have an ATI card there is no sensor for any program to read - the only way to get gpu temps is with a hardware sensor im afraid :D

LOL true - but a hardware sensor can be much more reliable than a software one (my mobo bios is always 10°c off my actual temp - regular as clockwork :D ) so maybe it aint a bad thing....temp monitors aint that expensive if you wana monitor your gpu anyway...

My fan controller has got 4 temprature probes, two currently not connected, maybe ill put one on the gpu to see if its hot.

Unlike the CPU where i'd put the sensor under the cpu through the pins. What about the gpu, under the heatsink or something?

ati has plenty of common sense, and now they have the hottest card out! up to 15000 on 3Dmark03! I have the new ATI drivers and a tab called "overdrive" in the properties shows the temp degrees C. I've seen it down to 58 and up to 70. 9800XT, currently not overclocked, but very warm out :)

My Radeon 9600XT reports temps also...this may be a feature exclusive to the XT series, I'm not sure.
My temps run from 30c to 35c, depending on use.

damn clocker those are low gpu temps bro. Im trying to get mine down to such a level. Just waiting on some cooling hardware.

Vrykyl said:
if your gpu is one of the newer nvidia cards (fx era) then they have an onboard temp sensor - look in the video card settings for "temperatures" and itll tell you your lowest idle temp and your current temps. However if you have an ATI card there is no sensor for any program to read - the only way to get gpu temps is with a hardware sensor im afraid :D
Thats not entirely true. Its only the higher range cards that come with a built in temp sensor. Lower range cards like my FX5600 dont have one :(

Clocker2 is correct only the XTs from ATI have temp sensors i dunno if the x800 series will have them.

I have a 9600Pro with a vga silencer on it, to check its temps i have a thermal probe in between the vga silencer and the GPU there is just enough room to get it in there and my temps are 24C idle and about 30C load.

Thats not entirely true. Its only the higher range cards that come with a built in temp sensor. Lower range cards like my FX5600 dont have one

i had a bfg tech 5200 ultra and it had an onboard temp sensor

~Magick_Man~

Back