• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU water cooling choices

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just focus on load temps rather than what you see on idle. So far they look good to me.

Before you do any benching, you'll want all your drivers to be up to date.

To get a bit more accuracy on temps and benching, you'll want to run a benchmark for at least 30 mins so the loop gets saturated.

The PC was up and running for about an hour total, between the few tests I ran and some random web browsing. The idle temps above were when I shut it down, which looks like the loop is doing a good job cooling. The plan for tonight is a fresh install of Windows to wipe everything out from before the new GPU, then updating everything before running a few more benchmarks and trying to get in some more game time. If CPU temps still stay in the upper 40's, I may look at re-mounting the CPU block just to make sure it's got a good seat on it. I was hoping they would stay just a little cooler.
What temps do the GPU boost start to step down? I was thinking it was somewhere in the mid 40's, but I can't seem to find that info now.

CPU's are more sensitive than GPUs. My CPU temps fluctuate between 40c-60c but mainly in the 50c-60c range on massive loads. That's with a overclock and more than enough heat surface in around a 28c ambient room temp. My GPUs stick around 40c-50c on load.

CPU's are more sensitive than GPUs. My CPU temps fluctuate between 40c-60c but mainly in the 50c-60c range on massive loads. That's with a overclock and more than enough heat surface in around a 28c ambient room temp. My GPUs stick around 40c-50c on load.

With 22c ambient temps and 720mm of radiator, my overclocked 6700k sits around 45c during normal loads and 68c under very heavy loads. That's why I wonder if my mounting isn't as good as it could get (or if maybe having it sit unused for the last 3-4 months may have caused it to need paste reapplied?) I have another CPU block I could try as well, the one that came with the RL360 kit. I'm not sure if it would be as good as my XSPC one though. I've had the XSPC cpu block for as long as I can remember and it's always worked great, but maybe it's time to retire it?

I think using Prime95 will cook almost any CPU. If you're looking good with Intel's benchmark and some others other than Prime95, you should be good to go.

PC has been running for almost 3 hours now, and I've run at least a dozen benchmarks as I play around with overclocking the gpu. Still haven't gotten it above 34c all night.
Stock voltage reported at 1.063. I had to bump it up 30% before I finally saw it move during a benchmark (went up to 1.075). I'm going to do some digging and see what a safe voltage is on these before I go any further. At stock voltage, I got the GPU stable up to 2088mhz core and 12ghz ram. What's strange, with my offset of +150 to get the 2088, sometimes the gpu boosts to 1965 and some times to 2088 but my benchmark scores are higher when it only goes to 1965. Since the GPU never exceeds 34c, I doubt it's a thermal issue. Most likely voltage would be my guess, and once I read up on safe voltages I'll feel a little more comfortable going higher.
Untitled.jpg

Back