• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Great Idea

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HowieWowie

I am running a Corsair H50 water cooler on my system it run fair 39-42c in idle and 54c full 100% load well I got this idea since I am O/C @ 4112 MHz with my AMD Phenom II X6 100T CPU so I run a Frigidaire line from my window unit to my side panel 120MM fan and of course I already had push and pull 120 mm fans on my radiator so it cools inside case just right and have pics to show it. It might not look great but it works great. Now idle 22C and 34C full load Prime 95 for 4 hours

AMD Phenom II X6 100T CPU O/C 4112 MHz FSB 235 w/little voltage boost
1130 GB's sata 3 HD's
Radeon HD 6850
DDR2 8GB PC6400 O/C 940 MHz
MB Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 154
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 285
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 148
First... Lol
Second, (and more seriously) what about any moisture coming from the air conditioner (as well as other things, dust for example)?

1 word, condensation, the moisture in the air inside you case is gonna start to condense. This seems like a good idea but in-fact is a really bad one.

I've seen people do this all the time in the benching world. Most of them have insulation on their motherboards to prevent from condensation (kneaded eraser, Frost King, paper towels, neoprane closed-cell foam). I have to say it's quite ballsy to do with no insulation whatsoever.

Now, while you have this set up: PUSH THAT CPU HARD! :D

AC units put out very dry air. They pull air from the room the AC unit is in, so it's as dusty as the room is. Some AC units have filters on them.

If the PC is on when the AC is turned on, the components are warmer than the air coming in, they will NOT have condensation. There is a chance the exterior of the case can have some condensation IF the dew point is high enough. Again, AC units dry the air because cool air cannot hold as much moisture, physics says so. Still, a chance that water can collect somewhere on the cooler parts of the case/parts and BZZZtttttt!

OP: Seen it done many times over the years. Kinda fun to do, it's the first step to playing with less than ambient temps. Your Elec bill will go up if you run it 24/7. Noisy. Questionable gains in overclocks... is it worth it? Sure it is, fun to do.

Rock on dude!

Like I said, push that CPU as hard as you can! You've got a full 21C before you run into issues with your AMD chip! That's a lot of headroom! :D

AC units put out very dry air. They pull air from the room the AC unit is in, so it's as dusty as the room is. Some AC units have filters on them.

If the PC is on when the AC is turned on, the components are warmer than the air coming in, they will NOT have condensation. There is a chance the exterior of the case can have some condensation IF the dew point is high enough. Again, AC units dry the air because cool air cannot hold as much moisture, physics says so. Still, a chance that water can collect somewhere on the cooler parts of the case/parts and BZZZtttttt!

OP: Seen it done many times over the years. Kinda fun to do, it's the first step to playing with less than ambient temps. Your Elec bill will go up if you run it 24/7. Noisy. Questionable gains in overclocks... is it worth it? Sure it is, fun to do.

Rock on dude!

Thanks for letting them know its dry air with no condensation

I've seen people do this all the time in the benching world. Most of them have insulation on their motherboards to prevent from condensation (kneaded eraser, Frost King, paper towels, neoprane closed-cell foam). I have to say it's quite ballsy to do with no insulation whatsoever.

Now, while you have this set up: PUSH THAT CPU HARD! :D

Bennoculus I pushed it to 4374 MHz @ 251 fsb, but it was not stable and a A/C that runs freon is dry air w/no moisture

Heh... The multi-quote button is your friend... :p

Just kidding. 4.3GHz on cool air (or cold water, I guess) on an AMD chip is very impressive! Just give it more volts and it'll get stable. How are your temps with 4.3GHz? Still under 55C?

Heh... The multi-quote button is your friend... :p

Just kidding. 4.3GHz on cool air (or cold water, I guess) on an AMD chip is very impressive! Just give it more volts and it'll get stable. How are your temps with 4.3GHz? Still under 55C?

max volts are supposed to be 1.475 limit by AMD but I went 1.5 to push 4.3 well guess it scared me to burn it up lol or just wary and playing safe running @ 4112 with 1.475 volts and running there with 1.5 volts @ 4373 I went 20 mins temp went 57C and prime 95 blinked me out... limit on AMD Phenom II is 62C

Last edited:
Every time I see "Great Idea" in a thread title I think I'm about to see a mini-fridge thread...

thought about it, never done it but might try :p

hot.fridge.front.linuxserve_large.jpg

Back