• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Green crust in system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I didn't mention vinegar in my rad dance sticky. Read too much about overdoing vinegar. Copper and vinegar. Put them both in a bowl....

I don't see rust or corrosion in this thread. I see a bit of green from whatever and a bit of oxidation, common on blocks. Not an issue. Cleaned up well.

OP: forget getting a RMA, block is too old.

It was probably caused by the flux from the soldering process and the chemical reaction of the coolant with traces of vinegar in the line as vinegar is an acid base, and the copper solder flux is also an acid base.

I think someone mentioned a baking soda flush that may be a good idea just make sure it is completely dissolved in water and that will neutralize any acid still in the tubing.

I had mentioned using baking soda to raise the Ph level back to 7.2. don't recall it being mentioned elsewise. I initially considered that there was possibly some vinegar left in the system. But after reading up on causes of cuprosolvency I found that the air needs to be in direct contact with the copper and low Ph (acidified) water as was evidenced in the blocked portion of the cooling block. I wonder if someone running a distilled/silver coil would do a Ph test on their system. I'd be curious to see what kind of reading they get. Funny thing is that I've done thousands of Ph test on vehicle cooling systems but never thought to do one on my loop.
I flushed my loop with vinegar and then distilled water, then did a Ph test to ensure there was no vinegar left in the system. It's at 7.2 so I'm good. I'm now running it again with a low micron fuel filter installed inline to make sure there's no particulates in the system.
I contacted Aquacomputer and it looks like they may replace my blocks. I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited:
Umm I posted this long ago, sorry not a sticky.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/651859-Water-tests-done-on-my-latest-rebuild

You damaged the copper in the rads with the vinegar. It leached over time.

I feel (relatively) certain that I flushed the radiator/manifold completely the first time. I'm certain of it this time. I didn't flush the blocks with vinegar the first time; just the manifold. When I cleaned the blocks with vinegar this time I soaked and scrubbed them with a few baths of distilled water.
Fingers crossed on both the RMA and leaching.

Back