• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ground Wire

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

benj1290

Hey guys,

I got a couple of real quick questions as i got mixed answers and there not to sure with data electrical.

I have a roll-able server rack mount with 3 Power Distribution Units and they have a ground for each one. The first question is that can i wire the 3 grounds that are 14 gauge to a 8 gauge wire?

I was also wondering was can i get something like This and use that for a quick disconnect for the ground? or is it not something that i would want to do.

The last thing would be solid or stranded wire for ground. I've gotten mixed questions for it. I think that stranded just to the fact that its allowing some (not all) the wire to fail where in solid if the wire fails its done.

On the first part, I think that would probably be ok, though thicker would be better really. 8 gauge is roughly twice the diameter of 14 gauge. I'd be more inclined to use 6 gauge though.

I've seen far, far, far, far, far more failures at push connectors than I have in solid wire or bolt type connectors, I personally wouldn't use anything that didn't give a solid connection.
That said, if that thing really can do 50 amps and you're running at 120v or 240v, it should be just fine.

Stranded vs solid, I don't really know. I like using stranded but I don't do stuff that stays in one place indefinitely.

Voltage flows around the outside of the copper wire. So you only get power flow around the outside of solid copper. with stranded, power flows around the outside of all the strands. So they say there is less power loss. Most of my house is done in solid but my shop/garage is done in all stranded where the power demand is highest. Plus it's much more flexible.

Voltage flows around the outside of the copper wire. So you only get power flow around the outside of solid copper. with stranded, power flows around the outside of all the strands. So they say there is less power loss. Most of my house is done in solid but my shop/garage is done in all stranded where the power demand is highest. Plus it's much more flexible.
Thats ac voltage at a high frequency. The effect is called the skin effect. As for dc voltage (psu) the strands actually lessen conductivity, because of the gaps between the strands. But, this is minimal. Also solid offers more support, but stranded wont break as easily if bent.
In conclusion, stranded would be better for your purpose, and 6 gauge would be better than 8.

Back