• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GSKILL Quad channel memory working as Triple on P9x79 after update to BIOS 4502

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neurostudio

Registered
Hi everyone,
the other day, after installing an outdated virtual drive app, my system crashed and i had to reinstall the OS completely, since it couldn't even repair itself or load a restore point.
Anyhow, i took the chance to upgrade from asus BIOS 2104 to 4502 after which my machine stopped seeing 32gb of ram quad channel and it sees 24gb triple only.
In the BIOS i went to tools and ASUS DRAM SPD was showing 'abnormal' on the C bank. Therefore I tried to switch the module in C and A to make sure it wasn't faulty. After that, it shows 'OK' status on all banks, but still can't see the 32GB. I tried to reset the BIOS to default, load different OC profiles, run the MemOk and cleared the CMOS. Still no results.

Before installing the latest BIOS it was working in quad channel, all of it, just fine.

Any idea?
Thanks in advance :)

My build:
Windows 7 pro x64
i7 3930k
asus p9x79 deluxe
gskill trident 32 gb (8gbx4) 2400mhz
evga gtx 580 classified 3gb
primary hdd Samsung 830 256gb
hdd 2xWD caviar black 2tb raid 0
psu coolermaster hsp 1050W

Im going to guess a memory stick has failed. The previous crash my have been caused by that. Run memtestx86 and see if it passes. g/l

Z

hey z, thanks for your feedback.

problem is that memtest sees only 24gb as well...i guess i should test 1 ram at a time?...which is a pain cause i need to remove the huge cooler to access it :-/

Its going to be one of those day's folks ahhh well, if you need to do it. It is for the best anyway.

AJ.

eeeh...i really wished for other solutions to try first...seems odd that 1 ram just burnt like that...but it's also likely at this point.

at some point cpu-z and AI suite were seeing 32gb, whereas Speccy and task manager were already seeing just 24gb...
so is it likely it was dying out and now it's completely gone? :eh?:

I doubt it's the BIOS issue but noone knows. You can always back to the older version and check if it helps.
Other than BIOS issue it can be some dust in the memory slot or just bad connection. Simply remove memory sticks and put them again into the slots.
Last thing can be CPU pad/connectors issue but it's really rare if you are not replacing CPU or if there wasn't any water cooling leak etc. Memory controller is inside the CPU so if there is issue with pin/pad connection then all memory channel can be turned off. I actually had that couple of days ago when there was some moisture in the socket during benching on sub zero temps.
In this case just remove CPU, clean pads and put it again into the socket.

HEy thanks woomack :)
I am not sure of how to re-install older BIOS. when i tried, it told me that the BIOS image was outdated and didn't let me.
I installed the cpu carelfully and properly last year: no bent pins, guaranteed :)
also, no moisture in the sockets and no dust since i never removed the ram since i built my computer.
i feel it's just that one stick has gone bad. fried. i guess today i'll try it 1 by 1 (i have 4x8gb) :-/
do you know if rma is a tedious process with g.skill? ...or maybe they are fast and good?! :D

RMA depends from country. In Europe you just send most stuff to the store and they have 2-3 weeks to fix it or replace. In the USA I'm not sure. You can always send it to Taiwan :D
But really check each stick. I doubt it's the memory but noone knows. Usually it's bad contact in memory slot ( what shouldn't happen but it sometimes does ).
Regarding older BIOS ... your board supports force flash from USB stick. Check in the manual for more info. You have to put BIOS in correct format ( just rename it to p9x79.rom or something like that ) on the USB stick and press/hold that weird button on the back of the board till it starts to glow or blink. I think that board can be turned off as it should work even without CPU ( I don't remember now ).

Merged your two threads. Please don't make multiples of the same thread in different sections. Thanks.

Correct Woomack the Deluxe and the Pro model can flash the Bios without CPU and RAM!!
Just need the 24pin and 8pin to be connected to the Mobo with Power on!!

Just hope its a bad stick most easy to replace after all.

AJ.

Im still thinking this is a bad stick of RAM. And yes, if need be, test each stick individually. Its a pain but you WILL find your answer. And I'll bet its a far easier fix to replace a RAM stick than the whole motherboard. Let us know how it goes.

Z

alright....
so...bad memory stick! ...
let's see how's g.skill RMA....
thanks everyone for the support!

Back