• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 285's on NewEgg

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just ordered a BFG one from Frys.com with "somewhat-cheap" overnight shipping earlier... some reviews such as Hardware Canucks are showing these puppies going to 750core/1700shader/3000ram stable, so it should be a good boost over my GTX 280 that I'm going to sell to help pay for this. It has already shipped and is scheduled for delivery tomorrow (Friday Jan. 16th 2009) :D. I just got a Dell 3007WFP-HC (2560x1600) to run a couple of days ago and wanted a bit of a performance bump without going SLI.

Worth it or not, this is the card I have been waiting for.

GoldenTiger, the beauty of my situation is that my next day shipping comes from the cheapest ups ground option. Living in Arkansas pays off on occasion :beer: Congrats on your purchase. We will have to compare OC notes and see how that BFG compares to the vanilla EVGA I purchased.

I just looked online for the UK prices, they are around £50 less than the GTX295. So for £100 more you can go quad sli over gtx285 sli : \

Worth it or not, this is the card I have been waiting for.

GoldenTiger, the beauty of my situation is that my next day shipping comes from the cheapest ups ground option. Living in Arkansas pays off on occasion :beer: Congrats on your purchase. We will have to compare OC notes and see how that BFG compares to the vanilla EVGA I purchased.

Nice... I'm in CT so without the overnight shipping it wouldn't be overnight for me :(. It's "with delivery courier" now on the tracking, so it should be coming in any hour now :D. I'll post back with my OC results, and am going to keep an eye out for yours ;)!

I'll post mine up too, I've got a pair set to arrive in a couple hours here... Now I just need to sneak away from work early to get home and play >=)

Man this 285 is looking delicious. Since I killed my last card :cry: I am in the market for a new GPU.

I am debating between watercooling a core 216 55nm and a new 285 on stock air.

Is there a way to change bios/voltage on these new cards in order to OC more? Heard that the SSC version from Evga has a higher stock voltage and tighter memory timings. Any truth in this?

Ive done some research, but from your guys experiences so far how are the new 55nm 260's comparing to the older 192 65nm ssc? Overclocking/heat?

Man this 285 is looking delicious. Since I killed my last card :cry: I am in the market for a new GPU.

I am debating between watercooling a core 216 55nm and a new 285 on stock air.

Is there a way to change bios/voltage on these new cards in order to OC more? Heard that the SSC version from Evga has a higher stock voltage and tighter memory timings. Any truth in this?

Ive done some research, but from your guys experiences so far how are the new 55nm 260's comparing to the older 192 65nm ssc? Overclocking/heat?

nibitor does this.

Might pick one of these up with a tax rebate, and sell off the 260 216. Not sure, that would be 4 video cards in one year, the G92 8800GTS with last years tax rebate, sold that for a 9800GX2, that lasted 4 days and hated it, got a GTX206 Core 216 =\

Might pick one of these up with a tax rebate, and sell off the 260 216. Not sure, that would be 4 video cards in one year, the G92 8800GTS with last years tax rebate, sold that for a 9800GX2, that lasted 4 days and hated it, got a GTX206 Core 216 =\

I am starting a similar pattern, 9800GTX+ to a 216+. Strongly considering the new 285, too, but I somehow doubt I'll let myself.

Im just wondering if a water cooled core 216 55nm would be a better investment over a stock gtx285.

Don't know if the price difference is worth it for performance.

isnt nvidia moving to 40nm in Q2? if its true, then might not be too worthwhile to buy these atm

Last I heard they'll be making the switch in Q3 sometime with a more "incremental" upgrade (not a whopper like the GT200 was compared to G92).

The first to make an appearance is the GT212 according to this article by VR-Zone, other articles I found basically quoted them or were similar. Though you may be very well correct yourself as I don't know how accurate or credible this table is.

I haven't been keeping up since 8 series, but I'm guessing from that timetable the GT series is the sucessor to the GTX series?

I haven't been keeping up since 8 series, but I'm guessing from that timetable the GT series is the sucessor to the GTX series?

They use the GT### names for the cores, and the GTX ### is the name of the final cards. GTX 280 uses the GT200 core, GTX 285 uses the GT200b core, etc etc. If Nvidia doesn't lose their mind and make things even more confusing, the GT212 core will be called GTX 300 or GTX 380 or .. Who knows, actually. This is Nvidia, after all.

Back