• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 470 SLI aftermarket fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigtyme07

Need some different fans for my SLI set up to keep these cards a little cooler and the more I look into water cooling the more impractical it sounds for me at the moment. So what fans do you think I should look at?

Hehe, that's why we watercool. Unless you can move the bottom 470 to your farthest SLI slot and not lose much performance. You'll lose very little if it's a 8x slot I think. Then you should have room to get aftermarket coolers. Now you see why we watercool SLI. Aftermarket air coolers are under $100 each, so it's not as expensive as water.

As far as I know, there are no aftermarket 470 air coolers that are thin enough for a standard SLI setup.

In the WC section is a sticky of PC stores, start looking there, then google search with the word 'review' after the part number once you found one your interested in.

cool thank ya :)

as far as water cooling goes though wouldn't you be able to take advantage of the ability to keep a card cool under extreme overclocks? That being said, couldn't you buy a really cheap card and overclock it up to performance specs for a really expensive card and save some money doing it that way?

Basically, my theory is this...
Invest in a really nice water cooling system so that you can buy cheaper parts and be able to overclock them to the extent that they perform at or above much more expensive parts...

Thoughts?

No, a cheap card was binned at lower ability. 5000 cards and each gets tested. Some are sold as OC goodness for mora money. I'll never see a top watercooler buying a cheap card and overclocking. Overclocking is'nt a budget thing. You buy the best you can and deal with it.

Some companies build less capable VRM and mem abilities. Thus lesser costs to them, they pass that on to you. And less abilities for you. Cheap card, you overclock it and be sad. Or the smoke comes out. And thier warrenty is bad..............

You need to understand WC is based on physics. You can only do so much with ambient cooling and WC is the best for that. And econimics of chipsets. Non-reference boards, etc etc.

But it isn't Harry Potter magic dude. It's a lot more complicated. You'll learn as you get involved. Read here and at at other forums, in six months at 4-8 forums at 5+ posts you read from beginning to end in lots of topics, every day, you'll see what I'm talking about.

cool thanks for the feedback :)

Conundrum could you direct me to some other good forums to read up at like this one?? :)

Last edited:
Back