• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX1070: Weird Throttling, Sudden Drop In FPS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The update was installed on th 11th of October. A new Nvidia driver was released on October 23rd. If you have Geforce experience set to automatically update drivers this could be where it went wrong. You could try removing Nvidia drivers with DDU then installing the previous driver version which was 387.92 here's a download link for Win1064 https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-geforce-graphics-drivers/ just pick your server

The update was installed on th 11th of October. A new Nvidia driver was released on October 23rd. If you have Geforce experience set to automatically update drivers this could be where it went wrong. You could try removing Nvidia drivers with DDU then installing the previous driver version which was 387.92 here's a download link for Win1064 https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-geforce-graphics-drivers/ just pick your server

Pardon, what update are you referring to exactly? The one you mention on October 11 seems to be a cumulative security update not an Nvidia update. I don't follow.

As for the nvidia update by windows, don't worry about those. They automatically happened after i rolled back the stock drivers of my laptop which go back to April. But before rolling back, I was on newer drivers (June, July, October) and windows update did not react to those and installed nothing, but my problem persisted. When I rolled back to the stock driver (April driver) on October 31, that's when windows update automatically installed the May update. In all cases, whether windows update installed a driver or not, and whether I am using driver v388 (no windows update involved) or May driver (automatic windows update after roll back to stock), I still have the same problem.

I always use DDU in safemode, clean up twice before restart, internet disconnected.

- - - Updated - - -

Just benchmarked 3DMark Timespy. I appreciate your feedback if you are knowledgeable with this tool.

BdhUroO.jpg

Last edited:
The update I was referring to was Windows. If you installed GeForce experience with your driver then it will update the NVidia drivers not Windows. That score doesn't look bad considering it's a laptop with a slower CPU. A standalone 1070 and an i7 7700K at 4.2 will hit ~ 6000

UPDATE: Things are back to normal, framerates are restored to original high levels. Here's how:

1. I got sick of this laptop last morning because of all the inexplicable issues described in this thread.
2. Decided to go for a walk, held SHIFT key+clicked on shutdown button in start menu
3. Unplugged the laptop from AC power
4. Plugged it back in 8 hours later, and all games run optimally again.

I changed absolutely nothing in software settings, drivers, and of course never opened the case.

What was that all about?!

I have the same problem, I don't know what to do, is there a solution?
PLEASE HELP!!!

Back