• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Guidance regarding water cooled setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CROE

Registered
Having tried to get help at national boards, I now turn to Overclockers for guidance, really hope I can get some help here. :)

I want to install water cooling in my system, but I am having some issues deciding which setup to buy.

Here are my computer specifications:
Case: FD Define S
MB: P67A-GD65
CPU: i5 2500k @stock
RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x4GB 1600MHz
SSD: Crucial BX100 250GB
GPU: Sapphire 7950 Dual-X Flex Edition 3GB @stock
PSU: XFX 750w modular

Here is the setup:

What do you think about this setup? My number one priority is silence, I also want a quality build.

Should I go for another brand? Perhaps EKWB?

What connections should I use? I have not choosen any, as I have no clue what will fit.

I already have Noctua 140 mm PWM fans.

Really appreciate some help, I have no experience in water cooling what so ever..

Check out Martinsliquidlab and Skinnelabs for testing on different brands. Should get you more familiar with the other companies.

Also, Performance-pcs, if you live in the states will be the place to purchase your liquid cooling parts.

Is this a budgeted build? Not sure if I would want to spend some funds watercooling a system just after the X58 line. You're pretty much bordering the 5 year mark on that tech IIRC. I would recommend on upgrading your PC in the near future (2016).

Check out Martinsliquidlab and Skinnelabs for testing on different brands. Should get you more familiar with the other companies.

Also, Performance-pcs, if you live in the states will be the place to purchase your liquid cooling parts.

Is this a budgeted build? Not sure if I would want to spend some funds watercooling a system just after the X58 line. You're pretty much bordering the 5 year mark on that tech IIRC. I would recommend on upgrading your PC in the near future (2016).

Thank you, I will check those sites.

I live in Sweden, so I will purchase from either Aquatuning.se or EKWB online shop.

My budget is 200-350€, and the 2500k will do at least 3 years more. I just need to watercool it for some overclockering, and then add something like the 980Ti.

Wondering if it would be a good decision to purchase the whole setup from EKWB, it will be more expensive (~380€), but the parts is made in the EU.

Markets for watercooling don't change much. There are 4-5 reputable manufacturers out there for the last 5+ years. The improvements are small over the years, this stuff is simple. Pump, block, liquid, radiator, fan, hose.

Well yes EK is in the EU. And the shipping should be cheaper. They design good products and make some mainly blocks. Hehe, you'd be surprised how much of the stuff is made in China under contract. Tubing, fittings, pumps, fans, radiators, etc etc.

As far as fittings etc please read up a bit more on tubing size and what fittings are used. There are a ton of good reads in the stickies so you'll know more about what is out there.

Lastly, the fans you have. Are they high static pressure fans or just regular quality case fans?

Markets for watercooling don't change much. There are 4-5 reputable manufacturers out there for the last 5+ years. The improvements are small over the years, this stuff is simple. Pump, block, liquid, radiator, fan, hose.

Well yes EK is in the EU. And the shipping should be cheaper. They design good products and make some mainly blocks. Hehe, you'd be surprised how much of the stuff is made in China under contract. Tubing, fittings, pumps, fans, radiators, etc etc.

As far as fittings etc please read up a bit more on tubing size and what fittings are used. There are a ton of good reads in the stickies so you'll know more about what is out there.

Lastly, the fans you have. Are they high static pressure fans or just regular quality case fans?

All right, well, do you think the setup in my first post will suit me fine (250€)? Or should I buy a EK-kit for about 380€? If I should chose the cheaper one, is that the best choice for my budget or should I chose another brand? Someone said Phobya made really good pumps, so I thought what the hell and just went with Phobya for the whole setup, as you could see. But I have no idea if that is a good buy or not.

If they write "made in Slovenia" etc on pumps and rads, it must be made there, otherwise they would not write it (strict laws in the EU). But I chould be wrong, I don't know, but I would pay twice the price if I knew the working standards was good (read: not china then).

I have these fans: http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Quality-Technology-NF-A14-PWM/dp/B00CP6QLY6

The phobya are reliable pumps but if i were you i would buy something to put under the DC12-400 as it can vibrate.. but it is very quiet surprisingly. when i had one i put a sticky pad under it.. one of those mats that go on your car dash for your phone..

http://www.walmart.com/ip/2-Pcs-Pow...-Pad-Car-Anti-Slip-Mat-for-Phone-PDA/47598021

also coolant wise i would go for distilled water (usually $1USD at a grocery store) and a kill coil.. ($7USD Amazon) and maybe add some mayhems dye if color is desired..
other wise you cant really go wrong with any name brand..
but EK is my "Go to brand" preferably ESPECIALLY for waterblocks

also i think the Phobya UC-1 had some issues that were corrected on the UC-2.. so i would shoot for a kit with the UC-2..

My very first set-up was with a phobya kit.. ahh good ol days

Last edited:
The phobya are reliable pumps but if i were you i would buy something to put under the DC12-400 as it can vibrate.. but it is very quiet surprisingly. when i had one i put a sticky pad under it.. one of those mats that go on your car dash for your phone..

http://www.walmart.com/ip/2-Pcs-Pow...-Pad-Car-Anti-Slip-Mat-for-Phone-PDA/47598021

also coolant wise i would go for distilled water (usually $1USD at a grocery store) and a kill coil.. ($7USD Amazon) and maybe add some mayhems dye if color is desired..
other wise you cant really go wrong with any name brand..
but EK is my "Go to brand" preferably ESPECIALLY for waterblocks

also i think the Phobya UC-1 had some issues that were corrected on the UC-2.. so i would shoot for a kit with the UC-2..

My very first set-up was with a phobya kit.. ahh good ol days

Ah all right, I'll buy something a pad to dampen the vibration. Thank you! :)

So I think I will go with the first setup (first post), but change the CPU block to a EK-Supremacy EVO - Acetal/Nickel. Also for tubing I will go for Norprene 13/10 with 4 pairs of 13/10 compression fittings. Do I need to buy something to fasten the pump and res to the chassi/case? I have the FD Define S.

you can fasten the pump if you want but i never do... it has enough weight to hold its self down... but a double sided adhesive would work if you move your case a lot or have little ones around..
you def wont go wrong with an ek block!!
my favorite tubing so far is the primoflex advanced lrt.. it seems the most clear and easiest to bend and stays clear..
link..

http://www.amazon.com/PrimoChill-Pr..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=0GSPXMS3N1CPNXJJD32R

3/8 x 1/2 is the same as 13/10mm

and compression fittings are the way to go... look SO SO much cleaner and "crisp".

you can fasten the pump if you want but i never do... it has enough weight to hold its self down... but a double sided adhesive would work if you move your case a lot or have little ones around..
you def wont go wrong with an ek block!!
my favorite tubing so far is the primoflex advanced lrt.. it seems the most clear and easiest to bend and stays clear..
link..

http://www.amazon.com/PrimoChill-Pr..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=0GSPXMS3N1CPNXJJD32R

3/8 x 1/2 is the same as 13/10mm

and compression fittings are the way to go... look SO SO much cleaner and "crisp".

Okay, I will see if I fasten it or not, but I prefer a solid setup without any loose parts.

As for the tubing, it seemed like the Norprene material is better than the PVC, as for longevity and such.

Here is my new setup:

Should I buy this setup? :D

Yeah its a good kit.. ek rads arent the best though..

but also the monsta rads are truly over kill

tubing youre gonna want primoflex advanced LRT its the best

the set up you selected is good.. just switch the monsta out for a 45mm or 60mm thick rad and youre good to go :)

Yeah its a good kit.. ek rads arent the best though..

but also the monsta rads are truly over kill

tubing youre gonna want primoflex advanced LRT its the best

the set up you selected is good.. just switch the monsta out for a 45mm or 60mm thick rad and youre good to go :)

Psst, have a read here . Tho the round-up review is a tad old, you can see how the older EK rad did against others. The newer rad has been redesigned ;)

I would change the pump to a DDC or a D5.

As already stated, I'd advise to go with PrimoChill Advanced LRT tubing and your choice of color. Stay away from dyes. All you need is distilled water, I think they might call it something else in EU and a silver kill coil.

Make sure your fittings are matched to your tubing or vise versa.

Other than that, your existing fans with that radiator should work great. You should be good for a CPU + GPU loop. If you add more, you'll need more rad surface.

Hope you've done your homework and have read up on custom watercooling and the maintenance involved to keep the loop pristine clean for years to come.

Back