• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

H.I.M.E. An ongoing Contruction

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
mmm who knows. I am a wuss in the fact that i dont have a lot of money, and even the cheap tools are quite expensive. Of course, you get what you pay for, but im not about to spend $90 on a dremel just so i can use it once heh. I dont do a lot of projects like this he he.
Case painting is a long way off. I have never picked up an airbrush before so I have to learn that before i try to paint on it heh. I could use somthing like acrylic paint but i doubt it.
It wont be untill after I move that ill be able to work more on this sadly. but thanks to everyone who is interested ^^.

what a pity.. the pic wont be painted :(

edward and eric would be displease. loll..

that would be counter productive. I want everything to be integrated into the one box so i can move it easily. Although, im going to enjoy weighing this thing when done. there will be aabout a litre of fluid in it as well as more copper parts. so i expect this tiny box to weigh in to about 20 kilo's

I might still paint the pic i have on it, bu ti want to keep the case mostly black. it matches my lcds then. Ill get to it. i have to draw more though. i couldnt redraw that pic if i wanted to right now. Im really out of practice.

my 18$US dremel has lasted me a few years and a few mods (not to mention a few car rust removal jobs, too), dont get too uptight about cheaper brands. Mines a dynalink, 39NZD; fits dremel gear, comes with lots of accessories, a stand, and the flexible shaft.

Seriously, all they are is an electric motor with a shaft, theres not a lot to them...

Valk said:
that would be counter productive. I want everything to be integrated into the one box so i can move it easily. Although, im going to enjoy weighing this thing when done. there will be aabout a litre of fluid in it as well as more copper parts. so i expect this tiny box to weigh in to about 20 kilo's

20 kilos (~45lbs) is alot to expect from a case this small IMO.

I'd put my money about 5 kilos/10lbs less.

Looks great, I think you would be well suited to stick with air in this case as small as it is. I just don't see sufficient air flow, to keep the ambient case temps down, and to properly cool the radiator. Not only that, where will it all go? External? You would have better performance in a RAID than you will gain from watercooling (with the right HSF). Just put one of the HD in a floppy bay. You did an outstanding job on the PSU. Keep the pics coming that is one clean job so far.

Raid isnt really worth it for me. My computer is by no means slow and unless i were to run raid 5, there is no redundancy to my data. although stuff like music and movies arent important, my artwork and my partners artwork *i always keep a copy in case hers dies* are priceless.
I know i can have a raid + storage, thats a viable option but the overall performence increase of it is pretty minimal in a desktop pc, and especially where i leave the programs running for weeks on end.

the watercooling IS worth it for me. it allows me to keep high end hardware happy in a small space. I recently found a site that has a s939 pinmod i can do to get more volts into my winchester. In a few months im also going to spring for a denmark, so its much better for me to spend like $20 on a tool to make a mount for my radiator than it is to drop $50-$75 into a decent tower sink.
Airflow is suprisingly open in this case. just you wait.

I probably wont worry too much about storage in this box. I have usb ports coming out my *** and a bunch of gigabit network cards. I plan to build a server sometime soon, since i have been without one for a while.
i can put like 2 tb of storage in there.

incidently, Sorry for the lack of updates. I wont be able to do a lot of modding untill im done moving and all that jazz.
Once everything is settled ill start cutting stuff up. I have two aluminum side panels to use for material, so hopefully it will be enough.

Just thought i would get a critique on my wire managment and some suggestions
on how i might clean the top up some more. it seems the wires around the drives are the messiest, of course this will change when i splice my own serial ata cabling in the near future.

wireman.jpg

im putting in an offer on a bip2 im gonna use. it will require the removal of all my bays except the last top one. its ok though. presently all my water stuff is for sale. im gonna start from a fresh slate on this box with a BIP2, Dtek mp-05 and mp-01. I managed to overclock this video card quite successfully too after making an *** out of myself over in the 3dmark forum heh.

I got a little too excited on that one.. but i take pleasure, i beat the top unmodded score ;)

3d05003.jpg

Im getting to it. when i get the rad, ill start hacking up and ill share that process as well.

hehe, woot and welcome back! I also must commend you on your sleeving, it sure can be beautiful if one puts some good effort into it, and I must say it certainly shows on yours. So does the foam really help that much at all?

pik4chu said:
So does the foam really help that much at all?

would like to know the result also :) it looks nicer than the bare metal. but if it doesnt help kill the sound im not gonna get it. need to shut my pc up somehow:beer:

Denser neoprene foam would be a lot better for the noise insulation than this akasa stuff. this is just a synthetic carpet like material that is more for a soft matt show i think.
It does look a lot better than bare metal. Im not sure if it made a big difference since the side of the case that faces me doesnt have any, but its damn quiet with 2 7volted case fans.
Once my watercooling kit sells, im gonna start buying some parts. ill start with the rad and the pump since they require some hard mounting mods. I figure ill mount a GTS240 in the front either dual pass or xflow and stick a DDC in that slot where I can put an x1 card. ill make a little pci bracket sled for it.
Im planning to stick the hard drives in the bottom, rested on motherboard risers and rubber washers.. think this will work?

again with the wires heh. my buddy wanted his 120gb back so i had to format onto my 250 and did some wire adjustments. used a ribbon cable for the dvd this time. I need to get some more padding for the back of my motherboard tray, then the sleeved wireing would blend right in.

wireman2.jpg

the feet are my sister's. of course she gives me a weird look whenever i take pics of my pc.

Got down to the watercooling today. I went out to pick up a cheapy dremel knock off this morning and came back with that and a drillbit.
I also finally got the radiator i baught here on on oc, cleaned it and preped my parts for use.

workarea.jpg

My work table for this mission. cheap dremel in hand, i started punching holes in my case and snipping off excess metal.

I didnt make a template for the fan, i simply removed the core from one of my evercools and traced with a pencil heh. i would have used a jiffy but i was feeling a bit too lazy to go buy one heh. only two of my dilled holes alligned right, but it worked out in the end =D. Some snip and grind and i have this

cleanfront2.jpg

I also tried to figure out how i was going to mount my pump and sure enough, figured out an alignment for it.

pumpmount.jpg

pumpscrews.jpg

With the clean rad install, and front bezel, it still looks pretty stealthy to me

cleanfront.jpg

Ran the pluming too. this clearflex 60 is really nice for the little space. tubing sticks out a little but is tucked nicely in when you put the side on, without collapsing tubes.

preloop.jpg

Bleeding/leak testing right now. ill post temps if my computer still works in the morning =)

inside.jpg

Full load temp for cpu/gpu 40C/45C. for a single 120mm rad, not bad =D

Is there any realavence in the fact that 'hime' translates from japanese as 'princess'? Or was it an acronym you decided on and this is just a complete coincidance?

Mod seems awsome so far, keep it comin.

Back