• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

H100i GTX with Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM 15C+ Temps over Stock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stoneysilence

Registered
So my stock fans on my H100i GTX started squeaking and in general being loud. So I decided to get some new fans. I looked at the stock fans SP120L on the H100i GTX and did some general googling on what to look for. Everything said I needed good CFM and mm/H2O. So I looked at Noctua's website and decided on the NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM's (I wanted the better build quality dust resistance since I live in a very dusty place).

My system is OC'ed to 4.5ghz and runs around 60C. Soon as I put the Noctua's in, my temps jumped to 80C. Put in my stock fans again, back to 60C.

What did I do wrong? Are the Noctua's too strong? I did notice that a lot of the air seemed to be "reflected" back the wrong way rather than going through the radiator. Although the air never was hot/warm even when it was hitting 80C (coming through the radiator). I tried lowering the fan speed but that just caused the temps to raise even higher and then shut my system down. I tried the Noctua's in a Push and Pull setup. Push(75C) had lower temps then Pull (80C) but not enough to get back to my original temps.

My system
MB: Asus TUF Sabertooth 990FX
CPU: FX-8370
RAM: Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3
Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 Gold 80+
CPU Cooler: H100i GTX

they cant be to strong, are you sure the fans are oriented to push air through the rad instead of sucking air across. if they are setup to push air across the rad then i think you got the wrong fan. Noctua makes good fans but those iPPCs are more for just moving air or air heatsinks, you should have gotten the NF-F12 like this one
http://www.performance-pcs.com/noct...h-tips-special-edition-120mm-cooling-fan.html <-there is a non-linus tech tips one, im sure you can find on other sites.
i might suggest this one instead if you want something a bit cheaper.
http://www.performance-pcs.com/ek-vardar-f2-120-1450rpm-high-performance-liquid-cooling-fan.html
or some new ones to game the E-loops
http://www.performance-pcs.com/phob...-fan-black-edition-120x120x25mm.html#Features

something is definitely wrong. what? idk. I did the exact same thing with an h110i and the iPPC 3000's ran about 400rpm's less on the top/bottom end of my fan curve while maintaining the same temps as stock fans.

something is definitely wrong. what? idk. I did the exact same thing with an h110i and the iPPC 3000's ran about 400rpm's less on the top/bottom end of my fan curve while maintaining the same temps as stock fans.

Yeah, on paper it should have worked. I just don't know what is going on and why it didn't. Wanted to know if anybody else here had tried it or not. I ended up returning them to Amazon. Will replace my intake and exhaust fans on my case instead to get positive air pressure and hopefully bring my temps down a bit more.

Also will replace the thermal paste on my cpu, I bought some Arctic MX-4 when I built the machine but ended up losing it and just used the paste that came with the GTX. Just found it today buried under stuff and will replace it maybe on Saturday since I have the day off.

If the air coming out of the rad was cool then you had poor contact with the block somehow.
Were you running push/pull?

If the air coming out of the rad was cool then you had poor contact with the block somehow.
Were you running push/pull?

Well on my rad it's recessed a bit from where the fans are attached. I think this was why I was getting so much air blow back, it wasn't going through the radiator efficiently but being bounced off. That is the only thing I can think of.

I tried it in both Push and Pull setups but don't have enough room or fans at this time to do a combo push pull setup.

Yeah, that's a ton of space, they should be flush (or almost flush) with the radiator.

The h100I gtx that I have isn't. Works fine with the sp120l's but apparently not the noctuas. When I have time I can take a pic.

Back