• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

H100i push vs pull. noise/effect?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peugot

like title says, i wonder how i should have the fans on my H100i. right now i have the fans on top of the H100i, blowing air into the case(push). is this optimal or should i make them pull?

Okay. Lets talk case airflow #1.

Most set up a case with front/bottom to rear/top airflow. Did you reverse the rest of your case fans so your blowing top/back to front/bottom once you reversed the H100 fans so they blow in??

And why do you ask? Are you having temp problems or just curious?

If you didn't your case airflow is probably messed up. Most of us, even with $1000 watercooling setups still use this method, "Most set up a case with front/bottom to rear/top airflow." Meaning your messed up if you didn't swap the rest of the fans around.

Is that all you needed?

The diff between push/pull on an H100 is a VERY minor concern. Overall case airflow is another.

Okay. Lets talk case airflow #1.

Most set up a case with front/bottom to rear/top airflow. Did you reverse the rest of your case fans so your blowing top/back to front/bottom once you reversed the H100 fans so they blow in??

And why do you ask? Are you having temp problems or just curious?

If you didn't your case airflow is probably messed up. Most of us, even with $1000 watercooling setups still use this method, "Most set up a case with front/bottom to rear/top airflow." Meaning your messed up if you didn't swap the rest of the fans around.

Is that all you needed?

The diff between push/pull on an H100 is a VERY minor concern. Overall case airflow is another.

just curious, and because it does make a minor whistle sound... temps are OK and it looks good. i added a pic so you can see and give me a response if that will change it =) tnx for answer! btw, i do now see that the psu fan are wrong on the picture. it's sucking air brom the bottom and blows it out back. however this have nothing to say for the airflow!

Attachments

• 4927_15_cooler_master_storm_stryker_full_tower_chassis_review_full.jpg
    4927_15_cooler_master_storm_stryker_full_tower_chassis_review_full.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 13,169
Last edited:
Okay. Temps are fine, you got some fan noise issue. Play with it, see where you can fix it.

The side fans, direction of flow? You missed that. That is your critical missed information. by your pic, you got them blowing in. Your wisle noise is too much preaaure in the case.

Just put it front to back, out the top rear. You'll be fine. Fix your H100 fans.

man.............. it's basic physics...................

Okay. Temps are fine, you got some fan noise issue. Play with it, see where you can fix it.

The side fans, direction of flow? You missed that. That is your critical missed information. by your pic, you got them blowing in. Your wisle noise is too much preaaure in the case.

Just put it front to back, out the top rear. You'll be fine. Fix your H100 fans.

man.............. it's basic physics...................

yes but i can't decide how to put them, thats why i ask =) the sidefans are sucking air into the case, its for cooling harddiscs =) i just want a quick guide what is wrong/what i should do =)

Well your fans are wrong. Make the h100 fans are pulling or pushing air out the of the case for standard air flow.
This. You have ONE fan exhausting out of that case... that airflow is poor.

front/sides = intake
top/rear = exhaust

:thup:

This. You have ONE fan exhausting out of that case... that airflow is poor.

front/sides = intake
top/rear = exhaust

:thup:

but... :( yeah, well im going to try to convert the sidefans so they become front fans instead(need to rebuilt the HDD part). so really, H100i as exhaust?then it will use hot air from inside the case?=(

The difference of air in the case, in cases with solid airflow, only vary a couple of C. I'd rather have proper air flow to keep my other parts cool than to have my CPU, which I dont need every degree C since Im not benchmarking or anything, a couple C cooler.

i'll think i do as you say, when i start on the HDD cage (another way to get fans in front). tnx :D only one thing left: when i turn the fans around, should i put them over or under the rad?

Mine are in pull configuration in my 800D. My computer is nearly completely silent the way I've configured the 100i and fans off my X79 board.

I noticed watching Asus' how-to videos that they say the top fans should pull air into the case so it they will cool the VRM situated just below.

just curious, and because it does make a minor whistle sound... temps are OK and it looks good. i added a pic so you can see and give me a response if that will change it =) tnx for answer! btw, i do now see that the psu fan are wrong on the picture. it's sucking air brom the bottom and blows it out back. however this have nothing to say for the airflow!

How did you fit the 2 fans above the radiator on top of the case? I have the black model and I can only fit 1 fan on top of the case due to the handle bracket. Did you have to mod the case?

How did you fit the 2 fans above the radiator on top of the case? I have the black model and I can only fit 1 fan on top of the case due to the handle bracket. Did you have to mod the case?

i have the black one aswell, but i used the white one for demo here to make it easier to understand ;) it was all plug and play to make it fit in my case, so let's see if you did the same way as me: you thinking of having the fans outside the case(where the dust filter are)? i have it all inside my case, and the dust filter outside =) so, no, no modding ;)

i have the black one aswell, but i used the white one for demo here to make it easier to understand ;) it was all plug and play to make it fit in my case, so let's see if you did the same way as me: you thinking of having the fans outside the case(where the dust filter are)? i have it all inside my case, and the dust filter outside =) so, no, no modding ;)

O...you just installed the fans on top of the radiator. I installed last night witge fans pulling on the bottom of the radiator. One of the d*men fan splitter connections on the cooler head broke through... luckily there's the second connection but it doesn't look like I'll be able to use corsair link though. Debating on RMAing or not. I'll finish the build tonight and check temps. You getting good temps with fans pulling above the radiator?

O...you just installed the fans on top of the radiator. I installed last night witge fans pulling on the bottom of the radiator. One of the d*men fan splitter connections on the cooler head broke through... luckily there's the second connection but it doesn't look like I'll be able to use corsair link though. Debating on RMAing or not. I'll finish the build tonight and check temps. You getting good temps with fans pulling above the radiator?

yes i did, but i changed it to the bottom and the noise problem went away. just use the other one, should be no prob with that! to use link you need to connect the pump with the usb(you prob know that). but i also had problems with the link software, it would not find my H100i. it was quite a fight to get it up and running, what i think was the problem is that the frontpanel usb's also use the internal usbconnectors on the motherboard, and you need to choose the right one so it would not interfere with the front usb's... thats how i got it working.. i am pretty satisfied with the temps, have not got it over 58(i think) after i changet fan position etc. and i am idle at 24-25c with ambitient 18-20C.

yes i did, but i changed it to the bottom and the noise problem went away. just use the other one, should be no prob with that! to use link you need to connect the pump with the usb(you prob know that). but i also had problems with the link software, it would not find my H100i. it was quite a fight to get it up and running, what i think was the problem is that the frontpanel usb's also use the internal usbconnectors on the motherboard, and you need to choose the right one so it would not interfere with the front usb's... thats how i got it working.. i am pretty satisfied with the temps, have not got it over 58(i think) after i changet fan position etc. and i am idle at 24-25c with ambitient 18-20C.

How'd you get a black stryker panel? Did you just get the part from a white case and paint it or do they make them across the pond?

How'd you get a black stryker panel? Did you just get the part from a white case and paint it or do they make them across the pond?

i got it from my retailer, you can take a look here:

http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=755784

you may not understand the language, but you can see the picture =) it's pretty sweet lookin! i haven't found it on the other sites i buy from, so i don't know if they are original(but i think so).

Back