• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

H60 or air cooled?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bamdaman90

Hi, I need a CPU Cooler for an i5 2500k and i'm having a tough time choosing whether or to get an H60 or just stay with air cooling. Also I need some recommendations for a fan controller not to expensive though. I would also like to replace my case(Corsair 650D) fans with much more quieter fans and also need suggestions on which ones to go with. Thanks

Take a read through threads here. I just posted about the H60, it's also been reviewed on our from page a while back, actually months ago.

The H60 is no better than good air cooling, and you need some pretty loud fans for a nice overclock.

Look at the H100 if you want somewhat better than top air cooling.

Good fans? Scythe Gentle Typhoons if you can find them. There are many threads here about fan discussion too, have a read.

I have just purchased the corsair H80 and although its only £15 cheaper than the H100 my case could not fit the dual 120mm requirement the H100 needs. The H80 uses a thicker radiator with 2 120mm fans either side sou only need space for 1 120mm mounting. I have also seen reviews where the H80 is only marginally beaten by the H100. I also found it easier to install than most high spec air coolers especially for AM3 motherboards. Oh and it seems to perform quite well I am getting 51c for my X6 1090T at 4.2g 1.5v running prime stable.

peace, Sammy

The all in one units have their place. They will generally give performance similar to high end air. To me they give a cleaner and better look than some of the massive heatsinks. Where I think a lot of the confusion comes in, is people thinking they will give similar results to custom water.

In the end, it comes down to preferance, and individual usage. I love my H50 cooling my htpc in my room :)

Perhaps at a completely stock set up the h80 would only be marginally beat, but as soon as you put the h100 in push pull setup with some decent fans it beats it quite easily. definitely recommend the h100 if you have the space in your case for it

I switched all my case fans to Scythe slipstreams recently (on a Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme controller) and I'm happy with them. There are certainly better fans out there (also cheaper, like low-speed Yate Loons for like $4bux each), but I'm pretty sensitive to any kind of voltage noise so the slipstreams are perfect for undervolting without making me crazy. If you have any kind of resistance whatsoever I'd recommend against them, and would probably recommend S-Flex fans instead.

I have low-speed Yate Loons on my HTPC and they work well enough for the price, although I don't think they're nearly as quiet as they're claimed to be (one of the 4 is also distinctly louder than the others at 7V), even undervolted.

Back