• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED H80 sounds like a jet engine.....help! Plz.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayan

Registered
Hey guys, so I have a H80 that cools a 3770 w/ no OC at the moment. Every time I start my PC it sounds like a jet engine is taking off. The pump also sounds like it's churning a little bit occasionally. It doesn't always churn, usually for a day or two and then it's just the extremely loud fans during operation.

Anyway, long story short, I want to make my H80 much quieter. I've been told to replace the 2 fans that are mounted with the radiator, but I don't know where to begin looking. If someone, with some knowledge, could post me some links (newegg or amazon preferably) to good coolers for that, I would be very grateful (as would my ears).

Thanks in advance.

I have also heard of an unusual amount of deffective units with the H80 run, I am assuming yours is no exception...

@dev/goat What speed do you have it on ? Press the button in the middle of it

I have it set to the middle setting. The lowest wasn't cooling very well (I had an overclocked 2500k @ 4.3 and the temps were rather high).

I have also heard of an unusual amount of deffective units with the H80 run, I am assuming yours is no exception...

Would I then be better suited replacing my current cooler? I really like the minimalist all-in-one water coolers for a CPU, the size is much better (to me) than the full air models. Not to mention, tinkering is easier with the all-in-ones.

I assume that even if I replace the H80 with something similar, that I'd probably still want new fans to place on it? Am I correct in that assumption? Also, what would be a worth-while different CPU cooler (all-in-ones only, please), if that's the way I should go?

An H80 should cool your CPU without the loud noise. It could be bad. You could be sensitive to fan noise also.

If you like the AIO concept, then the NXZT Kraken(?) mentioned in the WC section or the H100i IMHO is about the only AIO units I would buy. Swiftech is releasing a new AIO that can be customized, but probably not released till Febuary. It also is mentioned in our WC forum.

An H80 should cool your CPU without the loud noise. It could be bad. You could be sensitive to fan noise also.

Yea, it's just annoying. I don't think that I am extremely sensitive to fan noise (though with my 2 posts on here at once, I guess it would be assumed that I am). The rev up at boot for the H80, and the occasional pump grinding (or gurgling, depending on how you look at it), is really annoying. It is louder than my video card though.

Yep, RMA it, sounds like a poor H80 again. Or sell it for a song and go a much better AIO. I'd almost wait for the Swifty one, you should buy quality, and Swifty is quality and long term use.

Yea, try mounting it to the top of the case and see if the gurgling noise goes away. Might be an air bubble that isn't going up into the tank.

I will try that once I get home tomorrow. Although I'm building in a new "tower" next week so I'll have to move it anyway.

Even if I get another AIO, do you think I'd still need new fans?

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I ended up ordering 4x Cougar fans (2 for the CPU and 2 for the case I have), and they are fantastic. Much quieter, and they push lots of air.

Back