• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

H80i causing this cooling issue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Divinenite

Hello all,

This is my first post here :D . I recently built a mid grade gaming comp 1 month ago and finally got around to stress testing my rig.

I used Prime95 (blend test) and ran it for 6 hours (at night, temp in room was roughly 60 degrees F). I also moved the Case to an open area. The results concern me though.

After 6 hours, my max temp recorded (though HWmonitor) was 98 C and averaged 80 C. For the first hour, max temp was 78 and idled around 68 C.

My Rig is as follows:
Asus Z87-Plus mobo
I5-4670K intell cpu
16 GB Corsair Vengeance (1600 MHZ)
Asus Geforce GTX 660 TI
HAF X 942 (case)
Fans for case currently (currently all stock for now):
1x200 mm side fan (~650rpm) intake
1x200 mm top fan (~650 rpm) exhaust
1x230 mm front intake fan (~640 rpm)
2 x 120 mm exhaust (radiator fans)(~2300 rpm)
H80I Corsair hydro series (radiator+ fans are mounted in the back)

Now i do have another 200 mm after market CM fan and 2x corsair 120 mm after market fans (to replace stock radiator fans)

I do plan to eventually replace all stock fans with after market.

Is there anything i could/should change here? I do want to overclock in the future, but if a stress test is pushing 100 C, then i feel i need to lower that temp first.

Any help is very appreciated!

Is the H80i working right? Are the fans spinning up to top speed when temps increase? You should hear them.

What is your PC building experience? Did you install the H80 right? Did you check TPaste spread on the CPU after installing the cooler? Did you use aftermarket paste?

You sure you installed it correctly?

All these questions are part of the OCF assembly line, we do this all the time, do NOT be offended. Your one of LOTS in a month.

That said, what were your temps with whatever cooler you had before? Or did you not try stock cooling for a baseline first?

That matters a lot...........

Let us know. Also, your CPU will run hot, but that's pretty warm, almost too hot.

Lastly, the H80/100 i series has issues. High return rates. Ohh is the backplate loose or tight? Some have had to do a washer add mod to get better temps. Your H80 should do better. Run the test again with the case side off and a cheapo house fan blowing into the case. If temps drop your case fannage is all screwed up. Your kinda lacking on intake fannage.

I really appreciate the reply! My build experience is non existant (beyond helping out a few friends with their builds).

I can hear the fans quite well (showing that they are running at 2300 rpm roughly)

The thermal paste was pre applied on the h80i, so i ddin't think of adding after market paste. Also since it's presented in a square formation, i did not check the spread (prb should have now that u mention it).

I'll admit i did not try the stock cooler, went straight to the h80i after working with a few different friends builds.

Im in the process of removing all the h80i components and re installing them. I do have some artic silver 5 thermal compound that i will add to the Block after removing the factory paste.

I did read up on the backplate issues, but after tightening down the pump, i had no play/wiggle what so ever. ill let you know how the re install goes! :D

Sounds good, you seem to be a smart guy and on track to figure it out, keep us informed.

Fannage sounds right, at least the speed/noise.

Does the software work as advertised? Lots of folks just bypass the software (it's prone to be stoopid and something in the pump housing for the USB control is junk), connect the pump at full speed and control the fans with a fan controller.

Keep at it, cya tomorrow, I'm off to bed.

So i found 1 issue, though i was 100% confident i mounted the fans correctly, i had both pointing towards the radiator. I changed the outer most fan to match the exhaust. I cleaned off all of the manufacturer Heat sink and add artic silver 5 compound and re seated the pump.

I re ran prime95 The first test (roughly 10 mins) every thing was beautiful, hovering nicely at 70 C....

However as soon as the next test started, i saw my temp spike to 89 C and hover around 85 C. I had my fans set 2k rpm, but when i saw the spike, i bumped them up to 2.5k rpm. At max speed, i can't seem to get the temp below 85 C for a consistant basis, i really feel that 85 C for a STOCK i5 4670k is proving that something is wrong with my h80, just doesn't feel right.

20 minutes into the test, my rad feels barely luke warm. The cabling is pretty thick, but i really don't notice a change in temp.

3rd test (roughly 30 mins), everything is back down to 68 C, i also knocked my fans back down to 1.95k rpm, holding steady. However is that kind of spike (89k) normal for prime95?

These Haswells run HOT. Mini spikes are nothing to worry about, so I'd say your fine. If you want you can remove the cooler again and check the pattern of Tpaste if your not sure. Post a pic of it if you don't know. There is better paste by a few C like MX-4 and others, old AS5 is decent but really old tech.

I;d say your good to go for now.

Awsome, thank you very much for the info! I'll keep an eye on it. Good to now im at least in a good spot :D

Back