• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hack 9500 into 9700...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ataxy said:
uh me noooooooooooooooo :D :D
windoze.jpg

aha! whos confused now!!!

HIJACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

Hmmm....now I cant decide....

"To Solder Or Not To Solder, That Is The Question"

:p

BTW---Where can I get that conductive glue? Or will AS3 work?

It seems that the main problem people are having is trying to solder that 1.5mm long SMT resistor back on. Rather than using solder, why not use an electrically conductive adhesive such as Permatex® Electrically Conductive Rear Window Defogger Tab Adhesive

It's a two part adhesive. Just clean both solder pads with alcohol rub, mix the two parts of the adhesive together and put a small dab on each pad. Then place the resistor back on, make sure it's seated and let cure.

No muss, no fuss.

I dont think adhesive like that will equal using metal to conduct the elctricity, but Im sure it will be pretty damn close. I would say use conductive glue if your not very god at soldering, but if your a pro then resoldering would be the most effective and best looking option.

-JP

What is the best solution to modding the 9500 without having artifacts (checker graphics in 3d mode)?
I know there are two methods no-solder and soldering, but I want some replies from those how tried and post their method with success or failure stories.

Thanks

y0ungsta said:
What is the best solution to modding the 9500 without having artifacts (checker graphics in 3d mode)?
I know there are two methods no-solder and soldering, but I want some replies from those how tried and post their method with success or failure stories.

Thanks
its pretty definate that its the chip its self that is dependant on whether you'll havecheckers or not, but id just wait for the software mod, they say that all 4 of there cards were fully successfully modded but im skeptical of this

I successed in writing a driver hack that lets your 9500 non-pro run with the 8 rendering pipelines enabled. I tested it on my card (which has been hardware modded before) and got artifacts ..

Now i need volunteers to further test it .. please contact me on icq (3166214) if you're interested.

Thanks

Hey guys I just tested Wizzard's software driver hack and it worked. My card is a Sapphire 9500 128 MB Non-Pro and here are my results:

Normal driver, stock speed (270/270):

Fill rate (single-texturing): 906.7
Fill rate (multi-texturing): 1078.8

Hacked driver, stock speed (270/270):

Fill rate (single-texturing): 1507.7
Fill rate (multi-texturing): 2119.0

In addition, I have no artifacts whatsoever. My card has Infineon 3.3ns RAM, stock cooling, heatsink has never been removed.

Pipedreams also runs great and is quite a bit smoother..

The time for waiting on RivaTuner is over, folks.

Hey diehlr,
Where did you get the Wizzard software to mod the card? I want to try it when i get my card tomorrow. The Sapphire ati 9500 i'm getting has the same specs i think because some guy ordered at the same place as i did and had the card u just descirbe. I just want to see how well it is on my computer when the 8 pipes are open and on phase-change cooling with agrressive timings/ settings. My aim is skuid6.

Thank you.
Young

wizzard, so theres no difference between your software mod and hardware mod? cus im going to be switching the stock hsf for a 1u any way and i have some cunductive stuff on the way, so i'll just mod it so i can update my drivers whenever i want

DOH! What is this? I paid over $400 for a Gigabyte 9700pro less than two months ago. Are they letting people that buy $150 boards have the same performance ?!? RIP OFF I WANT $250 BACK

Over in the [H]ardocp forums, many people are reporting checkerboard backgrounds with all 8 pipelines enabled with either the software/driver modification only, hardware mods(resistor soldering/BIOS flash) or both.

Those few 9500NP owners that were sucessful in the process did not obtain checkerboard backgrounds with various graphics tests just used only the software/driver modifcation. Different drivers to obtain different results were also used from the website below:

http://www.maxdownloads.com/~ian/wizzard/

Here are picutres to confirm this "checkerboarding" effect in UT 2003 and 3DMark 2001 SE as from the Hardocp forums thread below:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?postid=1024262089

Most of the 9500NP owners in the thread up above, had also suggested that as future batches of 9500NP GPU's are released it could reveal better yields, thus lowering the number of potentially deffective pipelines.

Xbitlabs has a more detailed article explaining this below:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/story.html?id=1042408060

Anyone here at Overclockers.com obtained good success with these modifcations on the 128mb 9500NP? I would really like to dump my capacitor blown Ti4200 for the 9500NP to save a bundle in the future. Or perhaps I could wait until the FX is realeased from nVidia?

Last edited:
Before trying the "hack" I got 52.5fps in dragothic high detail (with 1024x768 + aa 2x + dxt) and after (same settings) I got 91.3fps with NO artifacts.
In the fill rate test , I got 945.9 (single) and 1081.7 (multi) before, and after I got 1536.5 (single) and 2171.3 (multi).
All tests were run with EXACTLY the same settings before and after.

PS
This is a Sapphire 9500 non-pro 128MB =P

PEOPLE!!! READ THIS NOW! IT EXPLAINS LOTS OF THINGS AND HOW THE HARDWARE MOD IS IN NOW WAY SHAPE OR FORM ANY BETTER THAN A SOFTWARE MOD. PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU PERFORM A PHYSICAL MOD!!

And wizzard. In that link it said dont publish this url. Can I post it in other forums or do you consider that publishing?

-JP

NO LIFE said:
PEOPLE!!! READ THIS NOW! IT EXPLAINS LOTS OF THINGS AND HOW THE HARDWARE MOD IS IN NOW WAY SHAPE OR FORM ANY BETTER THAN A SOFTWARE MOD. PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU PERFORM A PHYSICAL MOD!!

And wizzard. In that link it said dont publish this url. Can I post it in other forums or do you consider that publishing?

-JP

the page has been changed for about a day now and says "go share the link" :)

Back