• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HAF X Side Panel Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkere

On my haf x I have 1 200mm fan by cooler master. This fan does not move much air but it keeps my graphics card fairly cool. (on the side panel with the window) I was wondering if there was anyway of having a side panel mod for a replacement for the 200mm I have. Is there anyway I could have 4x 120mm mod. I need some ideas thanks.

http://tinypic.com/r/wapvtj/6 Link to picture

Last edited:
Well, you can get a peice of plexiglass and have it cut for fans. Might have to cut the HAF X side panel. That's modding! You live in a city with industrial comapnies?

Danger Den will cut a peice of plexi for you, just supply the specs.

I modded an old Cooler Master case some years ago because it wasn't wide enough to mount modern heatsinks that use 120 mm fans. I cut out a big window area on the side panel with my Dremel tool and cutoff wheels. Once I had the window cut in the side panel, I got some 1" x 1" hardwood at Lowes and built a frame to fit the window I just cut, then went to a glass shop and got them to cut me a piece of 1/8" plexiglass the same size of the window. The edges of the plexi were a bit rough from the glass shop. which I smoothed out with a sanding block and sandpaper. I then drilled holes through the wood spacer, case side and plexi and used brass screws to put it all together. Last, I took a 120 mm fan grill and used that as a template to cut out a fan hole for a 120 mm fan on the plexi and mounted a fan on the door. Using the wood as a spacer, I gave myself another inch of room inside to mount taller heatsinks and actually came out looking pretty good.

On my haf x I have 1 200mm fan by cooler master. This fan does not move much air but it keeps my graphics card fairly cool. . . .

And why do you think it doesn't move much air. In my experience these large fans move lots of air, but more quietly and more slowly than smaller fans. It's like the difference between 120mm and 80mm fans. Those 80mm turbines spin fast, they spin loud and they feel like they're putting out a jet. But their cfm figures are miniscule. Seen the other way, the 200mm fans move a lot of air slowly.

At least, that's my experience.

Back