• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Happy Holidays all.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Magron

Registered
I recently put myself together a nice new i7 4790K in a full tower case with 5 240mm fans not counting the 2 on the radiator and put a Cooler Master Seidon 240M on with some Arctic Silver I had.

Now I'm only running it in basic turbo mode.. 4.4 GHz and DDR3 2400 but it's heating up to 80C on the cpu and usually runs at least 75 in a cool room.

pump's running at 1422 rpm atm.. i could max it but should I have to?

Now I AM running full throttle on BOINC, I have to admit.

This seems a little high.. are my expectations out of line or did I maybe get a bad cooler? The fans on the radiator are high speed and there's quite a breeze blowing thru the radiatior..the air's barely warm.

also notice I have what seems a pretty big difference in core temps.. a 7C spread atm.
is it looking like I might have fumbled the thermal compound spread?

pump's running at 1422 rpm atm.. i could max it but should I have to?

Yes - turn up the speed on the pump. Higher pump speed means that you are circulating more coolant, which will bring down the temperature of the coolant.

Yes - turn up the speed on the pump. Higher pump speed means that you are circulating more coolant, which will bring down the temperature of the coolant.

These gains are negligible one he's at ~1GPM though, FYI.

The I7-4X70k run hot as well, my 4770k maxes out my cooling at 4.4 with 1.23 V and I'm on a custom loop with a 360 rad cooling the cpu only.

"What vCore is it running at 4.4?"

- - - Updated - - -

I had a real old tube of arctic silver 3..i'm thinking it's worth the 15 bucks to get some 5 and reapply, just to see. I did have a little trouble hitting the bolts on the block mount and had to twist it while I was installing.

and i'm just running the automatic sets on an asus Z97-WS mb.

1.712v Vcore + Old "bad" TIM + poor mounting = quick CPU failure.

Stock vCore is in the 1.23-1.25v range. Running it above 1.45v is considered dangerous. Good idea on replacing the TIM and make sure to get a good mount this go around. This will greatly reduce your temps.

That has to be a mistake, 1.7v and 75c not a chance

using cpuidhwmonitor gives me:
Vcore: 1.712V
VIN4: 1.328V
VIN3: 0.856V

VID: 1.308V
IA 1.357V

The CPU-Z 64 bit utility gives me a core voltage of 1.308

I'm sorry but no I'm not a well studied overclocker, that's why I got the ASUS..for a minor improvement to performance.
Hopefully I've provided the correct info this time?
I ordered a new tube of AS5 last night.

That was it alright. I'm down about 15C on startup before curing.
Idling at about 28C, FULL load (like only BOINC can full load it) running ~61C

I appreciate the info I dug up here that unblinded me to the possibility of a bad application and the need to buy fresh TIM.

I also went to the AS site and read teh application directions for Intel cpu's.
I had such great results with the AS3 and my two previous builds I never even considered it might require a little more effort to apply correctly.

warmed up the tube of AS and did the cleaning and reapp IMMEDIATELY after shutting down so everything was still warm.
Cleaned the old off with isopropal alcohol.

I normally run 24/7 for the BOINC. would the curing process be enhanced if I shut down overnight for a couple days?

Make sure your Vcore maxes at 1.25 Volts. 1.7v sounds like . . . hmm. I'm at work now and I can't name it. Thet's about a standard Voltage for it, though.

I think we're having terminology confusion. Which isn't surprising as every little group makes it's own these days. 'Creativity' should not be applied to common terminology.. LOL

CPUID HW monitor utility shows a 'VCORE' of 1.7V...which I think is actually input voltage.
What's called VCORE here is called VID on this utility which is running at 1.3 on turbo.

The CPU-Z 64 bit utility calls the same voltage 'Core Voltage' but is the same ~1.3 number.

I'm currently letting the i7 do it's own thing as far as determining the clock speed and it's running at 1.188V at 4.2 GHz with nearly the same performance adn much cooler temps.

Been curing for 10 days and still hitting up to 61 or 62C. Didnt like that so I've reapplied again.
This time I went out and got a proper solvent for cleaning. **NOTE** isopropyl alcohol will NOT do the job..you need exactly what Arctic Silver recomments. Found a paint brush cleaner with xylene and tolulene.

When I removed the block this time I saw I had indeed put way too much on.. solid deposit all around the edges. AS recommends a .040 or 1 mm thick line and that's TINY... I knew that from my career in Machine Shop but still used about twice as much as needed.

Polished the copper plate with a fine oilstone from my toolbox, cleaned properly, reapplied properly and I'm already down 2 or 3 degrees C immediately on startup.

Application is exactly as critical as everybody trys to tell you. Do It Right.

Back