• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hard drive detection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fatboylast

upgrading pc. have installed new msi 880gm-e35 mobo and amd athlonII x 2 cpu. i left the old hard drive(with os) in. hard drive is ata, mobo is sata. so i installed a ide to sata adapter. upon entering bios, it doesn't see the hard drive (maxtor). only choices for booting are usb something this is a first-time build for me, and i am perplexed as to what's wrong. probably something simple, but your help is needed desparately. thanks, steve

do you mean plug ide cable to hard drive, an then ide to sata adapter to other end of ide cable, and that to mobo? can't connect ide cable directly to mobo because the only mobo connectors are sata.

do you mean plug ide cable to hard drive, an then ide to sata adapter to other end of ide cable, and that to mobo? can't connect ide cable directly to mobo because the only mobo connectors are sata.

You could certainly try that and see what the result is.

What setting is in bios for the hard disks? You may need to try a different setting. Of course not likely a raid setting.

Do you have another computer you can test the drive and converter in? I'd start with just the IDE connection, then add the connector after I verified it was working.

motherboard: msi 880gm-e35, bios ver. 1.0
cpu: amd athlon II, X2 255, 3.1ghz
memory: samsung, 1x2gb, ddr3, 1066
psu: antec ea-500d green(500w)
hard drive: maxtor basics, ata/100, 500gb, 16mb cache, 7200 rpm, no raid

That PCI IDE controller says it only supports 128GB. >> "Onboard BIOS with LBA translation and Extended Int 13, supporting IDE hard drives up to 128GB". Would it support his full 500GB drive?

I never liked those IDE to Sata adapters because overtime, I saw many with problems. At this time with an adapter and used drive in the system, we don't even know if the motherboard is any good. Sata hard drives are what the motherboard uses...I would get one and use that. If you must use that IDE hard drive; then after setting up the Sata hard drive, get a Usb external hard drive bay and put the old drive in it and use it that way to get data off of it.

Most of the drive manufacturers offer translation software that bypasses that limitation.

We don't know if he has the OS install disc to be able to do a fresh install on a new SATA drive.

Back