• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hard drives keep spinning up Windows 10 while idling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nfinity

I have Windows 10 Pro on a ssd. Then I have two mechanical drives as storage, 2nd redundancy.

I have power option to turn off drives after 30 minutes. Most of the time that seems to be the case. The problem is that they often come back on in few minutes or hour later, while nothing is running. System is on 24/7(more of a home server), I don't need drives running over night...

Steps I have performed
Fully excluded mechanical drives from Windows Security.
Indexing is disabled on those drive plus Window Search service is turned off.
I turned off a bunch of other windows services/apps too, like windows store

I don't want windows turning on and off my hard drives repeatedly, I know its bad if often enough. but at the same time, they have have to be running overnight not in use, plus if I'm in my office, I can hear them spinning.

Last edited:
Check to see where the "Virtual memory" is pointed to. Also known as the paging file. I set my spinning drive to "None". For my SSD, I've played around with "System managed" and "None" as I have a lot of RAM. I have not felt a difference between those settings but I'm with the understanding that you want a page file so right now I have "System managed" on my SSD.

A quick google will give you the exact steps for each of your OSs. I think the steps will be the same in Win 10 and 7.

Thanks for the advise, I double checked and both my mechanical drives have have no paging set. And yeah I do have it set on my C drive (SSD)

I'm still doing some monitoring... Hoping I can catch whatever PID it is with Resource monitor... very boring watching that with a system at idle 99% the time.

Back