• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Has anyone rooted their DROID?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joeteck

Retired
I was thinking about rooting my phone, however a little skeptical.

I do have a step by-step guide here, however seems drawn out for such a change..

Worth it?

There's not much of a downside, and you can always revert back to stock, sans root.

Rooting lets you do a lot of nice things, though- side-loading (in case your carrier prohibits that); Metamorph; WiFi Tether..

There's not much of a downside, and you can always revert back to stock, sans root.

Rooting lets you do a lot of nice things, though- side-loading (in case your carrier prohibits that); Metamorph; WiFi Tether..

Just hesitant to do it. I don't want to Eff it up. Know what I mean? So many steps to do to get it rooted.

It's possible to eff up, but most phones are capable of recovering. The only one I've seen that's capable of bricking is the G1 since you have to screw around with the SPL(which may be avoidable now since I seem to see that there's a different method?).

Which droid phone are you using? Normally if a rom flash goes wrong, and you have a recovery installed, all you have to do is reflash to get it to work again.

Check out XDA-Developers for the real spot for homebrew.

Find your phone forum, check out the android development section, and there should be guides on how to do it properly.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/index.php

Edit - And yes it is definitely worth it in my opinion. Rooted phones have a much large variety of improvements over stock phones.

Last edited:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...android-backups-custom-roms-etc-easy-way.html

That link gives you a youtube step-by-step tutorial on rooting AND other things you'll want to know
I did it within an hour of getting my Droid and now i'm running Froyo with a 1.2Ghz Kernel scoring about 1500 in quadrant.. ;)

After you're rooted you'll want to isntall Rom Manager from the market! It's pretty much a touch a choose method for custom roms.

Assuming your talking about the Motorola Droid

I'm not sure what you can screw up on these things. To root the Droid (pretty sure this doesn't work on 2.2), you simply drop a specially crafted "update.zip" file on the phone's SD card, restart it to the recovery console and tell it to use that file. Less than two minutes later, it is working. The Droid is the absolute easiest to root. From there, install "ROM Manager" from the market and put whatever operating system you want on it. I'm running CyanogenMod-6.0.0-Droid-RC1 (2.2 Froyo). Combine that with [paid] program, "SetCPU", you can run the Droid at 800mhz. It made a huge difference.

I'm not sure what you can screw up on these things. To root the Droid (pretty sure this doesn't work on 2.2), you simply drop a specially crafted "update.zip" file on the phone's SD card, restart it to the recovery console and tell it to use that file. Less than two minutes later, it is working. The Droid is the absolute easiest to root. From there, install "ROM Manager" from the market and put whatever operating system you want on it. I'm running CyanogenMod-6.0.0-Droid-RC1 (2.2 Froyo). Combine that with [paid] program, "SetCPU", you can run the Droid at 800mhz. It made a huge difference.

You can actually get SetCPU free from XDA ;)

Just an update. I rooted my phone... Bugless beast V0.4 with red glass... Just awesome!

And real easy to do...

I might do it on my HTC Eris but I just bought PDAnet, which allows for tethering. Max download speed I get (with all bars) is about 200KB/s. Not bad considering I've seen aircards get almost the same and they cost more.

Yep, rooted my Nexus One, running Cyanogen RC1 (Froyo) (RC2 killed data connectivity for some reason), with all teh crappy stock apps I never used removed (eg Amazon MP3), with Juice Defender running I can now get over twice the battery life from a full charge than I did at stock.

Yeah, my battery life has increased too. Crazy! So cool that I can change themes any time you want...

Right now I have 56MB free. Great app; Temp+CPU V2 - real time

You guys are so lucky, I want an Android phone... but I'm stuck with Rogers here in Canada and they don't have any decent Android phones... :(

Is rooting same as jailbreaking?

Sent from apple iphone 4

Rooting basically gives you superuser permission which gives you access to Android OS..you gain access to system files and ability to change things that normally are read only.

Last edited:
I want to get a custom rom for my HTC Hero but the provider ( Cellcom ) is one I can not find a way to root the phone OR a custom rom for it. . . Sucks cause they have so much bloat ware on it that I want to get rid of.

Home Switcher + LauncherPro help with speeding it up and saving the battery a bit.

You guys are so lucky, I want an Android phone... but I'm stuck with Rogers here in Canada and they don't have any decent Android phones... :(

stuck with rogers too. But i was able to get the a HTC Dream before they pulled them. Telus is now getting all the good Android phones :(

I just rooted a 2.2 phone. That was a lot more difficult than the 2.0/2.1 root...

Either way, my father likes his rooted phone a lot more than the stock one.

Back