• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Has anyone rooted their DROID?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I think he/she may have to jump on the GSM hero section of those forums since Cellcom is a GSM carrier. Rooting procedures may be quite similar though.. That one you linked to appears to be a automated script so I'm uncertain if the CDMA requires anything different from the GSM version..

Check out this guide for manual rooting for a GSM Hero.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=4257045&postcount=38

Anyways I made a switch over to an HTC HD2 and I'm dual booting with windows mobile and android. :) I absolutely love this phone. It almost fulfills everything I use my laptop for.

Is it difficult to remove all the bloatware after rooting? Also, what happens when they release the next update- will it wipe the rooting or what?

Is it difficult to remove all the bloatware after rooting? Also, what happens when they release the next update- will it wipe the rooting or what?
No and No. ;)
There's software called root explorer in the market that makes it REALLY easy to remove the bloatware. Other option is a custom rom that has it deleted already. As for over the air updates rooting breakes the updates. You get the message telling you to download the OTA etc. But it essentially just gets fooled into sitting there and doing nothing. Fastest you can push a droid up to is 1250 mhz. Battery goes quick running that hard though. You also have will have wifi and USB tethering with a custom rom. It's easy safe and awesome. Anyone with an android phone should go for it.

Actually, when you install a ROM (BB), most of them have already removed most of the bloatware. However, bugless beast gives you a toolkit with a script helper, that allows you to remove additional un-used apps; such as Amazon MP3, Calculator, Crome to phone, Corporate e-mail, News & Weather, and Live wall paper apps, Which I've done!

I've rooted about 4 phones, and most phones cant go beyond 1000Mhz. Bugless beast goes up to 800Mhz, and that's perfect. Overclocked 200Mhz when I need it. SetCPU is a must have app for $1.99. Allows you to set profiles based on battery condition or temp.

Also, what happens when they release the next update- will it wipe the rooting or what?
All the custom ROMs have OTA updates disabled. It will never update to the newest [non-rooted] version. Even if it does, you could always use the custom bootloader or add one.

Back