• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Has Anyone with a Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P experienced Severe Ram Overvoltage???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

velozzity

I have a wierd problem. For some reason MY Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P motherboard with a OCZ Low Voltage 1066 4GB kit installed will give 2.05v to ram when "normal" is selected for ddr2 1.8 voltage (as listed in bios) If I increase the voltage by +.1 volts, the motherboard instead of giving true voltage of 2.15, applies less voltage of 1.95. From there the scaling is correct, as each +.1 increment is applied, voltage increases appropriately. However this motherboard should allow 1.8 volts (or 1.85 if slightly overvolted), but the least applied to ram is 1.95. I ended up Returning this ram after trying various bios without successfully being able to apply 1.8volts or close.

Has anyone experienced this with their motherboard and Is it a software (bios) issue or some type of regulator that is bad???????? Should I be trying to RMA my board??????

cpu-z was (I have since sent them back to Tigerdirect) reporting 1.8volts. That is the voltage they were made for and would only support up to 1.85 with OCZ's EVP warranty provision.

The Odd thing is talking to Gigabyte was like trying to go to noobs school for how to turn on a computer, after throughly explaining the situation I was given a lesson on how to adjust the voltage to ram in the bios, I had already explained to them after trying all settings and even changing bios and ram the lowest I could get was 1.95, and that was the normal setting for a patriot viper set that I reinstalled. I afterwards did manage to get 1.85 volts normal setting out of a mutt set (2 sticks from different manufacturers 1 of 533 crucial and another of 667 pny) by setting speed to 533 and voltage to normal. It took however 3 tries to get 1.85 volts as minimal setting but It was not consistent across all sets tested and In no way could I make the other 2 that low.

The really odd thing is OCZ's tech told me that in no way fashion or form does the Ram have anything to do with what voltage ends up being applied at either the normal (nominal) or auto setting. I find that really (no almost impossible) to believe considering that changing the ram did change the nominal value, somehow (via some type of test or spd or something) the motherboard takes a reading to set voltage accordingly and for some odd reason the OCZ did'nt read properly and wayyy overvolted.

Back